Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring for a Cowl Hood

Looking to buy a hood for my car. ???
    I really would like to stay with a 2" Cowl. Where / how do I measure to check for clerance before
    I order. If it matters I have a small block with a Performer RPM Air Gap, a 1" Spacer, Demon 750 and a none Drop Base Air Cleaner with a 3" Tall Filter. Also does any one have any favorite brands? I am looking at a Goodmark, Harwood with show finish Underside and The AMD Aluminum Hoods

Thanks early!

Re: Measuring for a Cowl Hood

I'm thinking the same way I laid out for the cut for my hood, which I stole from Tonya Turk. Lay out across the fenders with tape, intersecting where the carb (or whatever) sticks up. In your case, just measure up from the tape to the highest thing sticking up (don't forget the air filter like I almost did). You'll quickly see how much clearance will be needed. I didn't take a pic of this but somewhere, maybe in HRM, there's a shot of Tonya doing this - maybe Keith will chime in.

On the hood vendor - ask folks with the same kind of car you have (like at shows, the track, etc.). No substitute for actual experience.

Dan

Comment

I have a 4 inch glastek fiberglass hood on my chevelle. I am happy with it. Any fiberglass hood needs a fair amount of work to make it fit right, and they probably never will fit perfect. Steel is a lot easier, but they don't make a 4 inch steel hood for my car, and I wanted to put my gauges out in the cowl. I have a 3.75 inch tach, shift light, temp, oil, volt, and trans temp in the hood. I am very happy how it turned out, just something to think about.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I have measured across from where the hood would line up to the top of fenders, but depending on where you measure on the car you (Front, Middle, Back) I get different measurements because of the slope of the fenders. If I measure from the cowl on the car a 2" will work.

Comment

Dan's method works excellently
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Thanks for the insight. I ordered a Harwood 2" Cowl with there new show finish underside. I may have to lose my carb spacer or, go from a 1" to a 1/2" spacer to make it work. I really want to stay low key with just a street performace look.

Comment

Did you put a different air cleaner on it? I thought you had a drop base on it. That one looked like it would almost clear with the stock hood, but I think it would have been just a little too short.

Either way, I think it will clear with a 2 inch cowl.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-2180/?image=large

ETA - If you go with a shorter carb spacer, we'll have to check the clearance between the vaccum fitting on the back of the Air Gap and the secondary fuel bowl. It would be nice if we could find another low profile fitting like the one I put on my Air Gap. Next time Junior comes over in my old truck, distract him while I steal that fitting. ;D

Comment

Working...
              X