ebrake ingenuity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ebrake ingenuity

I had an odd problem that persisted in an old sube (12 years with them) I attempted hooking up both ebrake cables again recently due to a tremendous welding from front to back, both sides of car. I blamed resonance for not allowing a content ebrake cable of the design. this is what I made to stop the anomaly, and trust the body as tough enough. I remember the old school ebrakes in many models of cars, they got real annoying, even as brand new cars sometimes. today it is taken advantage of, of course, they are better. What do you think of this hack job?

this is photo of ebrake applied. adjusted clamp to meet the wall as pads reach zero life left. The steel shank is something I spotted in my tool box, it puts plugs in tires. I bent one end after removing the handle with much difficulty, It is very very strong. One end had a means to grab the cable, beyond the clamp for some rigity, and stopping the anomaly to inevitable cable end failure. OEM was like plucking a guitar string exactly wrong after a short time after repairs, it would brake again. Between this and welding, it is all good, back to better than normal. the silver looking spring is from a mig welder, stronger than oem of course, allowing for the swivel to have time to grab differences in one side of car to the others braking system. Anyone still playing horrible ebrake systems? this chore brings back memories of my first cars, they were bigger, and quite difficult with large rear hubs and loooooong cables on strange setups by factory. the sube is actually simple in comparison, and the cables are completely protected, waterproof.

Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Re: ebrake ingenuity

you didn't use a ferrel because? seriously, most e-brake applications put a tremendous stress on those cables so the single cable clamp is likely to fail - hopefully, not spectacularly......
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Re: ebrake ingenuity

That is why I wanted opinion, yours is obvious. the cars ebrake is a lever built into the front brake, its own japaneseness...and going on 25 years to boot. Boot. funny. it still is using its original there too..

I can apply it with visegrips easily. Not trusting the oversized clamp alone, I added the hardened tire plugger end, it has a shape to play with, advatnaging clamp, and cable. This has been a few days, and it is holding easily. The car model it is in is pretty much rotted in half where I live for most of them nowadays. finding a cable isn't difficult. I like the shank there, the weird maneuver it can do as OEM is not possible now. One brake is never like the other..and for a short time..they actually fight each other..and that is just to apply the brake. A maine plow in a maine winter with 5000 pounds of snow quaking 300 yards around it is yet another brake killer. Something has to lead, something has to follow. I still do not want an oe cable. I may smack the clamp with a mig (I have already done one with it).

When does one run away from OEM, to suffer the genius of resolve to stay alive where you live..
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
      X