Galvanized metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galvanized metal

I've noticed that I see all kinds of threads about welding cages, rockerpanels, bumpers ect, on vehicles but I don't see anybody mention what to do about it. Can I grind it off? How safe is it to grind it off? Will a stiff wire brush work?

Heavy metal poisoning is not something I want to take lightly.

Re: Galvanized metal

None of this stuff should be galv except for some OEM metal that you would be welding to. It must be ground off while wearing a GOOD, well fitting mask - NOT one of those little paper jobs. Grind back way farther than you think you'll need to. No, a wire brush won't cut it, just shine it up. Remember to grind both sides as most stuff if coated on both sides.

The most recent car I've welded on was a 2002 Focus (this was a while ago). No galv found and I welded in most of a front clip. Modern cars seem to be using other rust-preventative coatings and with good results.

As I reread your thread - you're not thinking roll bar tubing is galvanized, are you? Completely inappropriate.

Dan

Comment

there are a variety of ways to attach zinc to steel to make the steel rust retardant - but in any case, it's a coating that can be ground off very easily and is about the same thickness as a single coat of paint. Should you wear a face mask? only if you wish (advice is for hobbiest, not employers who know the OSHA inspector by name) - it won't kill you immediately (if ever). I spent lots of days welding galv. ductwork together (tig) - never ground it off....

other then the slight tick and my desire to sue everyone I meet - it hasn't negatively affected me. ;D ;D
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
        None of this stuff should be galv except for some OEM metal that you would be welding to.

you're not thinking roll bar tubing is galvanized, are you? Completely inappropriate.

Dan
        x2 No galvy for any of that stuff, don't use it.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
          None of this stuff should be galv except for some OEM metal that you would be welding to. It must be ground off while wearing a GOOD, well fitting mask - NOT one of those little paper jobs. Grind back way farther than you think you'll need to. No, a wire brush won't cut it, just shine it up. Remember to grind both sides as most stuff if coated on both sides.

The most recent car I've welded on was a 2002 Focus (this was a while ago). No galv found and I welded in most of a front clip. Modern cars seem to be using other rust-preventative coatings and with good results.

As I reread your thread - you're not thinking roll bar tubing is galvanized, are you? Completely inappropriate.

Dan

As usual Dan's nailed it.

Brian
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

galv is bad stuff to weld heat up grind it off if you find it before welding hell the fumes are bad enough not to mention the splatter from it burns also

Comment

Slight hijack, what about the cold galvanizing spray? Think it would stand up to exhauste heat or be too tough to remove later to weld something? Reason I ask is I've stripped off the aluminizing on my exhaust pipes for welding and I need to protect the metal.

Thanks,
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I've never had any luck with it surviving the exhaust cycle, but I've only tried one brand.

Comment

I was talking about the sheetmetal used in the construction of the car not the tubing or steel used for fabrication. I should also mention I am talking about TIG welding.

I ask because I am about to weld a new front clip to a mustang for a friend. First new (1986 ha!) car I have ever welded on.

Comment

I don't remember running into any galv on my '88 'Stang but I didn't weld much on the front. Just go slowly and see what you find.

Dan

Comment

There can be serious consequences from welding on galvanized steel without proper venitillation.... if you have any doubts, put on a good mask and do your grinding ahead of time.

Welding galvanized can do permanent damage to your lungs and make you really sick.

I don't think you'll run into galvanizing in the body on that car - but if you are in doubt - grind first.

As I recall watching my brother in law do some galvanized welding - it usually gives off a white smoke that is very thick and heavy - you will notice that it smokes much more than regular mild steel - so - that can be a warning sign - if you have thick white smoke coming off your weld area - STOP - get some fresh air, grind back the coating, then try welding again.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Milner351

Thanks for the info on the smoke color. I will be using my TIG machine and don't usually have any smoke. I was worried the fumes would be invisible/colorless and I would not realize I was killing myself. I will be doing this on my friends driveway in Canton. With all this rain it does not look like we will be doing it this weekend.

Comment

Oh yeah - it makes CLOUDS of white smoke. I have foolishly done this in the past - no more. With a torch.

Dan

Comment

You know, I was curious - and as I welded galvanized metal for years with no harmful effect... all while working for my dad (mom hugs trees) - my impression that it doesn't do much, if anything, to you is based on the meltdown my mom would have had if my dad had been exposing us to something intrinsically dangerous..... so, looked up some stuff on the web and found this article that seems to spell it all out.... not too harmful if you take very basic precautions.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaqu
                              Milner351

Thanks for the info on the smoke color. I will be using my TIG machine and don't usually have any smoke. I was worried the fumes would be invisible/colorless and I would not realize I was killing myself. I will be doing this on my friends driveway in Canton. With all this rain it does not look like we will be doing it this weekend.

Canton ..... MI?

that's where my shop is!
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X