metal killer, smells like peppermint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metal killer, smells like peppermint

This is a question I have had since the 80s. It is a mystery to me, unanswered..I am curious if anyone knows.
    The association of this peppermint smell is elusive, it stays localized, it is invisible, and on rusty metal only, that I have found...and then, it only pocks certain rust, in certan location, random...
    my '79 delta 88 broke both ends of its frame, eventually, the back end sagged, the car looked like it died. I got underneath, I was 15 at the time, this was the 1980s, and smelled peppermint. very powerful, tickled the nose. It seemed to come from the ground up, as the path of it proved.20 years later, I am welding at a bizarre injury, unfolding in one winter, the rear end "tube" for a subaru..and there it is again. The caustic peppermint..This time the mig welder made a white smoke that kept hissing as I welded. It dissipated with heat, and it made me nervous about structure. I welded the entire surface over a period of five hours, until I knew I could test with sledge hammer. So now I have a 2 ton rear end in a 1000 pund subaru, it does show it can be conquered. Do not bother with paint, not evben rustoleum on a 100 degree day prevails it.

is it freon? direct hit? I do not know...and it seems rare. I have had about 20 different vehicles, etc, in the same locale, never saw it again until my own vehicle..again.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Re: metal killer, smells like peppermint

what do the voices in your head tell you?

Comment

Originally posted by CarPlayLB
      what do the voices in your head tell you?

great help. ???
      I did find something with sodium hydrochloric acid, a chemical summarized as "sodium salt", and an adjective of pepermint, tangy, the describer tasted it. I am in the northeast, 10 years and older has stranger phenomonas than I have found, its like a lottery one wouldn't want to win. I have asked this elsewhere...

when does this "newb" label go away, Do I not look like a 36 year old 21 car owning former aircraft mechanic for the us air force in writing? "Almost" worked to death is close enough. Here, have some voices for your head... ;D
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Seriously it sounds like you are writing your posts in another language and then having Babelfish translate it. A lot of times I can barely follow your grammar much less the technical content.

I've never run across something that smells like peppermint and is corroding metal and some of the etching componds we used were pretty noticeable for smells.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I've worked on a LOT of rusty metal in my Michigan days but have never come across the peppermint smell. I'll be interested to see what we figure out. I'd give up chewing peppermint gum - but I rarely do, anyhow.

Dan

Comment

spent many a year under many a rusty car in western Pa doing state inspections....never smelled peppermint...could be the power of the mind.

Seriously it sounds like you are writing your posts in another language and then having Babelfish translate it. A lot of times I can barely follow your grammar much less the technical content.
            I have to agree here, I find your posts confusing. If youre a mechanic in the Air Force, and you are as old as you say you are, I hope that you use the Tongue and Quill.

....the language used sets off all sorts of bells in my head....paranoid...maybe...but after 16 years of training....it seems fishy....
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

My bet is a bunch of lifesavers fell under the seat.
              Tampa, FL

Comment

voices...I hear voices!

Comment

Where could this have come from, I wonder? Is it used in your area for road dust control or something?

Dan

Originally posted by boxer3main

I did find something with sodium hydrochloric acid, a chemical summarized as "sodium salt", and an adjective of pepermint, tangy, the describer tasted it. I am in the northeast, 10 years and older has stranger phenomonas than I have found, its like a lottery one wouldn't want to win. I have asked this elsewhere...

Comment

I would check with the county road commission to see what they use for snow / ice and dust control, that compound mentioned maybe a dust control agent for dirt/gravel in the summer, or - part of a salt / sand mix for the winter.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                    X