Cam RUSTED--salvageable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam RUSTED--salvageable?

My friggin' penance for being a New Englander.

Freakin' NEW Comp Cams 250x still in the box, was sitting in my storage unit.
    Brought it home to keep it in a more 'climate controlled' spot, i.e, my bedroom closet...

Opened it up, and whataya know, condensation from the wacky up-down-up-down humidity & heat levels here caused it to get surface rust on the cam bearing journals. It was still in the freakin' plastic bag too, albeit one end was opened. *&^%$#@!!!!

The lobes have some kind of dried factory goo on them from Comp, they seem to be fine.

Can I hit it with penetrating oil and some paper towels and save it? Or am I friggin' hosed?

I'll post pics.

Re: Cam RUSTED--salvageable?

I would even go so far as to use 400 cloth on the journals to clean them up if needed. And if it still had stains or pits they wouldn't bother me. The lobes....another story...good think they're ok

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

i agree with squirrel, you can clean the journals up. when i first seen the title i was like WTF somone want to clean up rusted lobes.lol

Comment

wd 40 and scotch brite pad works wonders. and................ if your brave take the one out of the kitchen LOL

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
          I would even go so far as to use 400 cloth on the journals to clean them up if needed. And if it still had stains or pits they wouldn't bother me. The lobes....another story...good think they're ok

yep x 2

Comment

make sure it is not bent

Comment

I agree - should be OK. The pits will just hold oil and are, therefore, a good thing. Rusty lobes - no way.

Dan

Comment

your good to go been there done that with a new roller cam several years ago

Comment

RUST SUCKS!!

Tony, a good clean-up as the others have suggested should suffice.

Just remember to coat it with some kind of lube/rust preventer(PB Blaster, WD-40)....some dessicant packets tossed into a big-ass Zip-Lock bag(one big enough for the cam...I've seen'em) should ward off the rust demons until you stab the cam into an engine.

Comment

what they said....
                    wd40 or similar oil with scothbrite to clean, then some thing stronger for storage.

I've been using some stuff called "fluid film" it's a yellow waxy stuff that comes in gallon rectangular cans like paint thinner.

I've not had it long so I'm not sure about it, but it sure seems like a environmentally responsible version of cosmoline to me.

the problem is - I didn't get it on the bores of the 428 soon enough - and they have started to flash rust on me!
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I like some stuff called Remoil for guns, it sticks better than WD40 and is designed for cleaning and protecting metal.
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

wd 40 will make it rust out worse down the road

Comment

Working...
                        X