Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brakes grabbing when entering driveways.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes grabbing when entering driveways.

Not sure how this is happening. The brakes on Gregg's 58 Caddy are stock drums all around and when ever you enter a driveway at about 45* angle the brakes grab nearly stopping the car. It doesn't ever happen when you're entering straight or near it.

I loosened the brakes a tad, which helped. I think the drums are also the hubs. Both fronts have new bearings in them. They are the old ball type.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Re: Brakes grabbing when entering driveways.

did you adjust the wheel bearings correctly? I think they are supposed to be tighter than with tapered bearings.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

What Jim says makes more sense, but I was going to ask if any of the brake's flex hoses are binding at full lock in either direction..

Comment

I'm with Jim on this one too - if a bump is causing the brakes to apply, it's either a hydraulic issue - unlikely - or something mechanical causing the shoes and the drum to get closer to eachother.

I'm betting the drum / bearing / hub assembly has just enough play when loaded that the impact at that "angle of attack" is causing the drum to move into the shoes.... and "apply the brakes"...

Man we do get some strange issues in here- but we all learn along the way don't we?
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Is it the fronts or the rears? I'm just thinkin' out loud here, but what happens if the E-brake cables are too tight? The car twists and that applies the rears. This is just a guess, of course.

Dan

Comment

I believe it's the fronts. I will check the bearing tightness first.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

This is elementary, but make sure the short-side shoe is in front.
              I've been chasing every stupid issue there is with the rears on my '62 Suburban. I installed the shoes backwards when I built the rear end out of the truck, and that caused an issue.
              Brake line is too close to the exhaust manifold: when I'm driving slow or in stop and go traffic, the line heats up and applies the brakes thanks to expanding fluid. (problem goes away with airflow over the lines.)

The latest one is the drums are turned beyond spec, and the shoes are extending out past to the metal pads on the backing plate and getting hung up--can't retract. You might have something similar that way--chances are he's riding the brakes a bit pulling into the driveway, the brakes grab and the pull themselves farther into the drum.

-Brad

Comment

if its the rear brakes check the e/p brake cables like DS said

Comment

The rear E brake is fine and works great.

I used my 1959 Motor's Repair Manual to get the brake shoes right. The I re-checked with factory repair manuals when I got them. Yes, the short shoe is where it's supposed to be.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The mystery continues. I am now sans clue. Could firewall flex apply the brakes? Again, I'm just fishing.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                      The mystery continues. I am now sans clue. Could firewall flex apply the brakes? Again, I'm just fishing.

Dan
                      Right now I'm guessing it's the hubs' nuts are a bit loose. That bizarre Bendix Treadlevac system functions well. That big tuna boat stops well with good pedal feel.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

tuna boat - that's funny right there.

I'm with you on the bearing preload - that makes a lot of sense - a very small movement in the drum could make a self energizing drum brake system tighten up.
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

/start strange anomoly

this reminds me of fresh weld on body structure. invisible rumble into the hubs. the strange part of my story, it has happened on some of my fresh welded vehicles worlds apart...(they just had hubs as synonymous)
                          just adding a unique true thought. hows the shocks? that is a big bouncy car. smell any "water gas"? northern places get this steel magic trick through the atmoshere on old vehicles..like a ghost, it knows theres fluids in lines...

/end strange anomoly ..
                          Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

can someone interput that please

Comment

Originally posted by calico camaro
                              can someone interput that please
                              interput = interpret..
                              verb (used with object)
                              To give or provide the meaning of; explain; explicate; elucidate: to interpret the hidden meaning of a parable.

:P ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X