first gen Camaro rad install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first gen Camaro rad install

I am wondering if these rads had a rubber cushion between the rad and support. The factory hardware is missing, and I am instlling an aftermarket aluminum rad.

Thanks,
    Les.

Re: first gen Camaro rad install

It should from the factory. Universal ones can be found in the Help Section at the part stores.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

O.K., I kinda figured so, but there wasn't any in the box of parts that came with the car, and I just recieved my rad tonight, got a little excited to mount it , so thought i'd ask.

Thanks,
      Les.

Comment

They have a press in rubber that is threaded in the center and expands when you install the bolt. I can tell you some aftermarket ones dont hold well and none of them hold up to wheeley's. I gave up and just bolted it solid to the support on my hot rod.

Comment

I would like to just mount it solid, do you think I will run into issue's with cracking since the rad is alluminum?

Comment

if my opinion counts i dont think you will have any issues with mounting it solid.

i have always mounted the solid,usually the stock rubbers are so worn out you throw them away anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by r3dart
              I would like to just mount it solid, do you think I will run into issue's with cracking since the rad is alluminum?
              So far in two seasons of racing no problems have surfaced from monting solid. I was just glad I noticed when the rubbers ripped out Ron Davis is pretty proud of his aluminum!

Comment

Factory 1st gen Camaros do not have any rubber cushions as delivered from the factory. They use a special radiator that has brackets on the sides of the tanks that bolt to the radiator support. This was actually a problem because these radiators tended to fail after a while from the vibration.

I modified my radiator so that it sits on a custom bracket with a foam cushion underneath like the later GM cars do. Works good.

Comment

Working...
                X