No announcement yet.

What are good 'crap' SBC heads? 283...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are good 'crap' SBC heads? 283...

valve spring choice is very easy , just look at the mfrs catalog and go with the recommended valve spring

Comment

I'm telling you - this site is the best thing... well, since the internet itself.

7000rpm on a budget build?

you can figure out the coilsprings once you pick a cam....

I have three little letters for you when it comes to putting this thing together ARP!

do not skimp on the rod bolts especially if you plan on "spinning her till the crank turns blue" ;D
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

SPS ?

Comment

Comment

USED AFTERMARKET!

Look for Dart Iron Eagles or World Sportsman IIs on www.racingjunk.com

You ought to be able to pickj up a lightly used set for a song and all you standard Gen 1 SBC parts would fit.

Comment

yeah, the bottem has fell out of sbc stuff after the LS craze started. a buddy just sold a set of built, professionally ported trick flows for 650 bucks. ready to run with flow sheet. and thats the highest set ive seen priced lately around here.

Comment

Originally posted by calico camaro
                yeah, the bottem has fell out of sbc stuff after the LS craze started. a buddy just sold a set of built, professionally ported trick flows for 650 bucks. ready to run with flow sheet. and thats the highest set ive seen priced lately around here.
                That's the best news I've heard all day.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                  Originally posted by calico camaro
                  That's the best news I've heard all day.
                  i find some killer deals from time to time on our local board im on here kyhorsepower.com
                  if this was a few months back there was a nice set of camel humps with stainless valves and screw in studs with giude plates that sold dirt cheap. i almost picked them up just to resale

Comment

Here's one that looks like a good deal. The ad is a little old though, might be gone already.

Ad #1594333 Posted:2009-07-09 08:37:14
                    This ad expires in 23 days.
                    Dart Iron Eagle Heads
                    $600.00
                    I have a pair of Dart Iron Eagle heads like brand new. They only have 50 passes on them, there set up for flat tappet cam. They have 3/8 screw in studs and guide plates with 2.05 / 1.60 valves 64 CC with 215CC runners.
                    There in great condition.
                    600.00 or trade to a pair of SBC aluminum heads.

Seller Phone Number: 606-287-8586

Seller Phone Number2: 859-779-5672

This item is USED

Trades ACCEPTED: a pair of SBC aluminum heads.

Here's another one:

Ad #1584274 Posted:2009-06-26 22:57:54
                    This ad expires in 10 days.
                    Dart SBC iron eagle cylinder heads NEW
                    $600.00
                    New pair of SBC Dart Iron Eagle cylinder heads PN 10310010pf: 200cc runner, 49cc chamber, 2.02 intake 1.60 exhaust. Came from Motorstate 1 year ago. These are bare castings.

Seller Phone Number: 5172064821

This item is NEW

Trades NOT ACCEPTED

Payment options:

Item Location: MORENCI, MI Get Directions To This City

Comment

Its a 283 block, so I'm kinda limiting myself to 1.94 intakes.... 2.02s would probably fit, but would be shrouded a bit too much.

And $600 is waaaaaaay outta my price range, at least till i can find that dang lotto ticket in the couch cushions.

I'm shooting for spending the bulk of the $$$ on rods, ARP stuff, and a balance job. Oh, and I might need pistons.

Comment

There were some small chamber Vortecs on that site too. I believe down in the $200 range. You have to do some digging, but there are some deals out there if you look.

There are also the old 305 LG4 heads. You could probably get them for next to nothing. They have small chambers to keep your compression ratio up and while they have small valves (1.72/1.5 I think?) they are a good head for small displacement stuff (if you are building a 283)

Also, a lot of the old 283 blocks are thick enough to bore out to 4.00" So if you are buying pistons and rods anyways, you could build yourself a low buck 302 clone. If I remember correctly there is a way to use a 350 piston and a 5.85" Chevy PM rod (cheap but stronger than old X rods) to work with your 3.00 stroke crank (depends on your journal size).

Comment

Working...
                        X