1 Wire Alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Wire Alternator

Hey guys... I have a 1 wire alt on my Mustang. This past weekend I took it off to do some work on the car (installing a billet electric water pump), and when I put it back on, it's charging at 16 volts. Used to be around 14 volts. So, my question is is this going to hurt my battery? (It's an Optima) It's really just a strip only car with very limited street time. I suppose the regulator on the alternator is fried or damaged....

Re: 1 Wire Alternator

Measure the voltage at the battery itself, with a good handheld voltmeter Generally it should not go over 15 volts (on an accurage voltmeter), if it does you should see about replacing the regulator.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Yeah, reads 16.1 at the battery. I just wondered if it would kill the battery with the limited use the car gets.. ( I guess you can tell I don't want to pull the alternator off again )....

Comment

is the alt in new brackets because of the wp??????. the coating on the brackets makes for a bad ground on alt case and will do weird things .run a ground wire from a mounting bolt that threads into the alt back to the block and see what that does

Comment

Working...
        X