413 cheap rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 413 cheap rebuild

Ok I Know a lot of this is going to be hack job so if you are squeamish stop reading.

The 361 is oil fouling plugs every 300-500 miles so it has to go. I have the 413 out of a 62 new yorker. It is getting rebuilt/freshened up and put in. In the future it will probably get a 440/833od and a 9inch but for now the 413 is it. Dad and I yanked the motor apart this week and got the block off to the machine shop for a hot tank and cam bearings because I dinged the heck out of one using the slide hammer to get the cam out. (I had thoughts of Brian's build as I did it) The bottom end doesn't look too bad. The crank has a couple thousandths of taper and the piston bore's have a bit of ring wear. Maybe .010 enough to catch a finger nail. Woody my machinist didn't seem too worried about me running a quick hone down the bore's and slapping it together for 10 or 15 thousand miles.

The first of my questions. I need a ring and bearing rebuild kit (timing gear, oil pump, gaskets, the usual stuff) Any one have a good source?

Second question how would you prep the block to minimize ring damage on the existing grove? Should I even worry about it?

Third question what cam to use? I need to keep the stock springs. The original cam had a .390 int/exu. Im not afraid of it being too big other than spring bind. (header's to 2 1/4 duals, edelbrock performer, 700 cfm carter style carb, stock 3speed and original 3.58 to 1 rear)

No damage other than a rusty cam from the rust hole in the valley pan.

Thanks in advance
    Steve
    Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Re: 413 cheap rebuild

if you reuse the springs that are in it, they're likely to break, so go ahead and get new springs to match your new cam. btdt

Last few I did, I didn't worry about the ring ridge.....kinda oughta be reamed out, but ridge reamers make such a mess of things
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Check PAW. Their quality has gone up and down over the years so hopefully some one with more recent experience can chime in, but their stuff has been OK for me. Pretty good deals, generally.

I like the old Chrysler Performance (Direct Connection) purple stripe cams. Not too radical but pretty good and tough, too. Of course, there's always my buddies at Delta in Tacoma, WA. Great stuff for cheap money. As an example, I just ordered a cam for the 250 - $103, including new lifters (12, of course) - hard to beat that deal. The Delta solid lifter cam & lifters I've been running have held up well - I've had the cam out a couple of times so I've actually looked at it. If you use Delta it's best to have some specs in mind as they are only sorta good at making recommendations. Oh, and you can reuse the valley pan if it's not rusty - just put a light coat of RTV on the mating surfaces. I've done it many times with no bad effects.

That's all I have for now.

Dan

Comment

Check out www.440source.com for parts.
        As for a cam, I would stay around the same or only slightly more duration, but try to find a grind with some more lift.
        If the springs are still stock and therefore over 40 years old, it might be wise to replace them. Although I've never had a valvespring-failure myself by using the old stuff, and I do 'use' my motors at times ;)
        If you choose a cam with more duration and lift, definitly go for new springs. Put some fresh oilseals on the valves aswell while you're at it.

I would at least try to remove the ridges as best as possible. The new rings might slam into the ridges and break easliy if you rev the motor a lot.

Also, build up the engine well and you'll probably wouldn't want to spend money again on a 440.

Oh and, why a 9"?
        A stock 8-3/4 and a stock 9" are comparable in strength, while the 9" eats up a bit more power by itself to turn because of the lower location of the pinion gear.
        www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

i would take a ridge reamer to it if the ring edge was worn down the new ring can hit the ridge and break the ring or mash ring land some times . up to you . for parts i would try adv or az. i did a flat head ford and got everything i needed
          except pistons . and had it in like 3 days and if wrong easy to send back

Comment

Hey guys thanks for the quick reply.

Jim I am spending money I don't really have so I am back and forth on springs.($80.00 Paw) The heads come appart today we will see how much money the valves and such are going to eat up.
            I agree on the ridge reamer. I was thinking about the three stone hone and putting a bit more attention to the lower side of the upper portion of the bore.

Dan I have had pretty good luck with paw and was leaning toward them but always welcome other options.
            Paw ssi cams not huge # but more than the 390/390 stocker

11313 2 204-214 270 280 .420 .443 112 HYD. HYD. $64.95 2011-16 VS-320-16
            SSI-10323 3 214-224 280 290 .442 .465 112 HYD. HYD. $64.95 2011-16 VS-320-16

Kanter, egg and rpm want a fair amount for there build kits. I am juggling numbers but its looking like a mix and match from powerhouse, paw, 440source, and summit. Again always open to options and opinions.

BBM 9" because of availability at the local pick ur part junk yards. A friend and I have bin hording center section 28 and 31 spline at $30 each. The whole rear $75. There just aren't that many full sized mopars showing up. I will snag one if I see it.

Dave I am an idiot I just didn't think in that direction. Going there today at least to ask. Thanks man!

Steve
            Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

just remember it is not a small block chevy you cant buy a rebuild kitwith pistons for less than 200$ LOL

Comment

and if you dont trust the not head behind the counter try looking up on there web sites

Comment

Chris works out of the hole in the back of the advanced auto in Annapolis. Commercial manager, he is the most arrogant jackass ever and the best parts guy I have ever met. You literally have to knock on the back door and they buzz you in. He only just started talking to me a year ago. Picture the soup nazi.

Steve

Comment

ah noooo partzzzzzzzzzzs for yoouuu

Comment

Long ago I learned that you can get a good price on rebuild parts from some machine shops...but it really depends on the shop. Wouldn't hurt to ask. also if they order the wrong parts (size issues) you don't have to pay for shipping twice
                      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I know all about roddin' on a tight budget(all too well, unfortunately).

But if you're potentially replacing valves/seats/seals, now isn't the time to scrimp on valvesprings.....would totally suck to put $$ into the heads, only to bend a valvestem/hole a piston because of a fatigued/broken old valvespring.

Comment

Working...
                        X