Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford 9in help

Howdy,

Need some dimentions off of a 9in third member. What is the diameter of the bolt circle? Distance from the mounting flange to the axle centerline? Width of the outsides of the bearings?

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: Ford 9in help

Maybe if you make a drawing with dimensions shown as letters (A, B, C) then I could measure? and what tolerance do you need on the measurements?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Can't find a good picture to annotate so I'll try words again till I can get home and mess with some MS Paint if needed.

Lay the chunk so the pinion is down and the mounting face (the face where you put the gasket or sealant) is pointed up.
      I'm looking for the distance from the mounting face to the centerline of where the axles go into the differential.
      Next measure across the bearing caps outside to outside.
      Finally it looks like a 9in has a round mating flange, what is the diameter? If its not round what is the major (measured along the axle centerline) and minor (measured across the diff) diameters as measured from the outside to outside and the width of the mounting lip.

Trying to see if it's remotely possible to put a Ford 9in 3rd member into my 61-65 Buick full sized rear housing with some sort of adapter.

Thanks,
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Oh.....

bolt pattern is slightly oval, 10.3" wide 9.9" tall, center to center on the bolt holes

Axle centerline sits 1.5" behind gasket surface.

8" wide across the bearing mounting holes, thats the outer dimension of the pieces that hold the bearings, and includes the adjuster threads.

My fabulous web page

Comment

cool, is it a 1in wide mounting flange and the bolt holes roughly centered in it?
          Central TEXAS Sleeper
          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

mostly....you can buy a gasket you know

My fabulous web page

Comment

That's money spent, right now I'm just doing math and seeing if it's worth spending on.

I don't think its going to work however. A stock 61-65 Buick Fullsized rear has the axle centerline 2 7/32in behind the mounting flange. You'd have to mount the Ford 9in chunk inside the housing.
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

While I can't imagine why it matters that you would put a 9" pumpkin in a 61-65 Buick full sized rear without just using the whole 9' housing with Buick ends on i, assuming the axles can fit cut to fit a 28 spline or 31 spline carrier its possible with some welding and grinding and machining.

But I'd start with what are you trying to actually accomplish?
                Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Not have to transfer my 3-link braketry to the 9in. I was going to put Ford housing ends (for better any brake selection) and the 9in center section (for better any gear selection) on the stock housing. Right now the plan is a 30 spline 8.625in 10-bolt since it's cheaper, lighter, and more efficient but I'm still going to have to fab or transfer the brackets.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                  X