Formatic Trans Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formatic Trans Info

Those of you that are old enough or crazy enough to work on one of these, I could use some info. The '56 Ford Fairlane I'm working on has it's factory Fordmatic that has been rebuilt. It always starts off in second gear, not first. To get it to start off from a stop in first, I have to manually shift into that gear.

Is this the way it's supposed to work? I've had one competent tranny shop say Yes, but they also admit they stopped working on such old stuff years ago. They won't touch it now.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Re: Formatic Trans Info

that's how they work. I have an extra trans taking up room if you need it ;)

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Yup, that's correct... Sometime in the next few months I'll have a 57 312 4barrel and fordomatic combo for sale, just incase you're interested.....

Comment

thats is the fmx ? or the 2 speed ?

Comment

Neither, it's the Fordomatic. predecessor to the Cruisomatic and FMX.
          My fabulous web page

Comment

If I have the story right, the FMX is the daddy of the AOD. The Fordomatic is all by it's lonesome - a dead branch on the Ford auto family tree.

Dan

Comment

sounds icky

Comment

Wasn't the FMX made by Borg Warner? I know the Flashomatic from AMC was the BW unit.
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

It was based on the Borg Warner trans, but it was made by Ford....

from wiki:

Ford-O-Matic was the first automatic transmission used by Ford Motor Company, designed by Borg Warner Corporation. Introduced in 1950, the 3-speed Ford-O-Matic evolved into the Cruise-O-Matic in 1958 (and a 2-speed Ford-O-Matic in 1959) and the FMX in 1968. This line continued in production until 1980, when the AOD was introduced.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                  X