Vibration Dampeners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibration Dampeners

How tight does a SBC type dampener need to be on the crank snout? The six uses the same dampener and the one on the six I'm putting together just slid right on. Seems weird. The others I've installed required the use of the installation tool - same one as is used on a SBC. I guess I could install one of the several dampeners that I have but I wasn't sure if I was borrowing trouble. Should I install it with Stud and Bearing Mount Loctite?

Watta ya think?

Dan

Re: Vibration Dampeners

Does the crank have a key way?? if so might not be that big of a problem.

But your right usually they don't just slide on. Not to say I haven't clearanced a few to get them to go on easier.

Comment

If it's not a tight press fit, something's wrong, figure out if it's the crank or damper or both, and replace parts as needed.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Thanks. I was thinking it should be a tight fit like the others I've done but then maybe I missed something. Two of the others didn't even have a bolt. This one has a bolt and a key but I'm still not comfy with the fit. I'll do some measuring tomorrow.

Dan

Comment

They didn't have a bolt originally (at least the ones I've messed with don't), odds are it slipped for some reason and someone drilled the crank and put in a bolt to keep it on. Can't do a good job of damping if the damper isn't firmly attached to the crank, can it?
          My fabulous web page

Comment

A note on the subject but Buick V6 and 350 balancers slides on and are retained by a bolt. I don't think that has so much to do with the function of the balancer though this might point to a flaw in the particular setup since its supposed to press on.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

As with a flywheel, I'd say the damper better be locked in tight, and not depending on the keyway to hold it. Figure every piston firing may be a load cycle on it...there will be millions of 'em.

Comment

all of mie have a key and a bolt.
                terry

Comment

Dan, pre '68 small block & inline six's had no damper bolt and were held on only with a press fit! :o Later Chevrolets used a press fit and a 7/16" bolt (small block) and 1/2" bolt (big blocks) Buick. Olds, Pontiac had a much larger bolt torqued to ~120 lbs/ft. That is why some other engines can use a slip fit. In you case I'd want mine to be a press fit.

Good luck.
                  There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Thanks all. I took the dampener off the engine I just removed and it was a light press fit - not as tight as it came off the old engine but MUCH tighter than the one I originally wrote about. The newer one pulled on with the center bolt but at least I couldn't shove it on by hand like the bad one.

I think it'll be OK but I won't use that crank for a serious build up (this is kind of a comical build up).

Dan

Comment

super tight - press fit ......

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                        I think it'll be OK but I won't use that crank for a serious build up (this is kind of a comical build up).
                        I realize that, but it will also see some rpm won't it? that's when problem start...

My fabulous web page

Comment

I have it chipped at 5,000 and may lower that a bit. 250's have a natural vibrational frequency at about 5700-6000 which can be overcome with lots of money. I think this dampener will be fine to 5K - it went on pretty tightly.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                          X