Vented Gas Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vented Gas Cap

Now I am carbed and smog free I need a vented gas cap for my 1986 Camaro.
    No available gas cap for the 3rd gen Camaro is vented so does anyone know an alternative
    vented one ?

Re: Vented Gas Cap

If you're not using the return line, use that port on the tank to make a vent. On my car there is a short rubber line connected to a hard line that goes up above the tank and loops over in a 180* bend. That way gas can't spill out of it.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

My return line still goes to the engine comp., but is capped for obvious reasons.
      I?ll have to get under the car and see what can be done, all the lines exit the top of my tank and come down the front of it so if I try your idea I?ll still be below the top of the tank................maybe.
      :-\

Comment

The metal tube for the vent actually goes up through the floor of the trunk above the rear axle, makes a u-turn, then goes back down. My 70 has a return line off the fuel filter between the carb and fuel pump. And a vent tube.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

hate to think too backwoods here - but couldn't you just drill a small hole in the gas cap as a last resort?
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

my Buick has a vent at the top of the gas tank, and has been a constant source of irritation to me because you get gas vapor smells inside the car.... my take - leave the vapor recovery line to the charcoal cannister connected and draw through there.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The charcoal cannister is history, a bunch of relays live there now.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                hate to think too backwoods here - but couldn't you just drill a small hole in the gas cap as a last resort?
                yes, and it can be hidden, if using the same vaccum only clicker typer cap. leaving the cap the cap. Shhh. one drill hole the size of the line used to be, or whatever. I do not know as they sell the vent anymore. It reminds me of a 74 chevelle taking off too fast, and why the vent may have disappeared for a full return line sustem, and forcing the carb to take on its own vent via the canister, or vacuum control. Smog is not venting, douing away with venting is rather absurd. Smog is like recycling your own exhaust, vent , be t called emissions is the smart side of "smog control", it is safe, and ven aids in atomization/efficeinet, hot days hot starts..
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                X