Boost with Pump Gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boost with Pump Gas

Vortec heads, Holley carb. IF I run a ProCharger, it will be pretty tame. I like road trips. I would like to retain the AC, cruise, etc in this car. Sounds like it would be best to run like 5-6 psi normally, and when at the track swap a pulley and dump in some 100 octane.

Mebbe I'll stick with the plate thats on it now and just spray it.
    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Pill it till you kill it! :o
      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

To be completely honest with you, you'll probally be pretty bored with 5-6 psi. Remember you'll only get 6psi at redline and probably wont see any boost untill around 2500rpms. Centrifugal boost is exponential, meaning it starts off pretty slow and increases at an increasing rate as rpm's rise. I'd go for 8lbs to start. With conservative timing or a BTM you should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by whiteghost7
          To be completely honest with you, you'll probally be pretty bored with 5-6 psi. Remember you'll only get 6psi at redline and probably wont see any boost untill around 2500rpms. Centrifugal boost is exponential, meaning it starts off pretty slow and increases at an increasing rate as rpm's rise. I'd go for 8lbs to start. With conservative timing or a BTM you should be fine.
          That's why I'm thinking it might be better to spray it. Haven't killed any motors yet from too big a pill, but it should have happened a time or two. Melted plugs. . .

'Course, that motor could go in the Malibu, which has a much larger grill and no AC to contend with. And a lot more room. And more hood clearance. Then there could be an intercooler and more boost and a taller hat and still room for injection.

OK, next question: how much boost with an intercooler on pump gas, 9:1 comp with factory iron heads? ;D

The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

on pump gas you might be able to get away with 10 or so (i may be wrong) but i wouldnt push it too far on pump gas just because of the inconsistencies of it. like diesel said if you get a bad batch you ar going to have problems.

Comment

If you want to be safe then run 8-10psi-non intercooled or 12-15psi with an intercooler. Doing a blow thru carb helps but like everyone else already said there are a lot of other factors to consider. Pump gas is a little scary in my opinion, I would go with the lower boost numbers if you have iron heads.
              Personally I love water meth injection but if you arent paying attention and you run out of water/meth when you need it then you will be in trouble.

You should be able to do this with almost full timing.

Comment

Second on the water/meth and the risk of running out. Make you sure wire in a low level and a pump on light so you know are getting flow. On a turbo you can turn the boost down if you run out, with a CSc you might have to resort to windshield washer fluid if you run out in the middle of nowhere or pulling the belt or carb hat if you are dependent.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Lots of great info --->

The domain name Coolingmist.com is for sale. Call BuyDomains at 844-896-7299 to get a price quote and get your business online today!

Probably the most advanced, user-friendly and

versatile mega-quality units & components available.

We've used & compared *4* brands total,
                  and these are the units we're sticking with. ---

Comment

procharger has different intercoolers that will work for your car. There are some that lay flat with the ground and have a small scoop on the back to direct the air thru them. Or buy a nice radiator and fan set up and run a FMIC. I have run 10psi on a sbf and no ic before with iron heads and had no issues for a while, but on a bad day it decided to break 3 pistons. I would rather be safe then sorry. I would also like to vote for bottle, its way more fun and the ass dyno is going to feel it more haha

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR

Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist
                      Are you really a physicist ? Is that anything like a rocket scientist ? ;D

Don't hit me, I bruise easy...

Comment

Generally, no, not all physicists are rocket scientists, but.....

I have a batchelors in Physics: Space Propulsion though my masters is in Medical Physics.
                        Central TEXAS Sleeper
                        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
                          Generally, no, not all physicists are rocket scientists, but.....

I have a batchelors in Physics: Space Propulsion though my masters is in Medical Physics.
                          So you would be the guy to have around when I get hurt going really, really fast flying through the air.

Sorry, it must be Wacky Wednesday around here.

Comment

Working...
                          X