Rebuilding for commercial use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding for commercial use

I have an friendly acquaintance from work who hauls expedited freight in a '98 Chevy 3500 cargo van. The van has 560,000 miles on it and the owner wants to overhaul the engine as the oil consumption is getting very high even though he says he rebuilt the heads less than 60,000 miles ago. Since it has a small Chevy in it I was wondering what would be the best way to build it up for longevity. He has an old dodge van as a backup while this one gets worked on so downtime isn't the issue it normally would be for a commercial application. I think this poses some interesting questions.

What would be some logical suggestion for pistons/ring combos? Hypereutectic for tight cylinder fit? What kind of bearings and associated clearances? Would coatings be worth anything in terms of fuel economy or longevity? How would you set up the heads assuming that the previous rebuild was botched.

He also went through 3 water-pumps in 2 years and would like to avoid that again which has me wondering if maybe a coolant filter would be a good idea.

Re: Rebuilding for commercial use

No replies eh?

I guess I should not be surprised. Nobody (OEM's included) it seems cares about the longevity of automotive engines past 150,000 miles anyway.

Comment

low compression is the key , upgrade to an 03 with an LS 6.0 , that would probably go a million miles

Comment

Question???

Why would you take a gas engine apart at 500,000 miles and not re build it then???

Comment

Never took it apart to my knowledge.

Comment

Well I would rebuild it stock again, coatings are meh put a high volume High pressure oil pump in it and call it done. as far as the WP issues use true green coolant and quit with the orange stuff its really bad stuff

Comment

And change the coolant, every two years.

Comment

a stock build should do him fine with the upgrade mentioned above

Comment

I would be happy with a 1/2 million miles , so i would rebuild it to stock specs.

Comment

I would have to agree with the others on a stock style rebuild. After all in lasted 500,000 + miles. I think with stock components and good machining, attention to specs, it should last at least that long again.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I am intrigued by the recommendation for a hi-volume oil pump. I was thinking that some cheap roller rockers might lessen valve-guide wear. Would anybody reuse the lifters or should they be replaced?

Comment

Working...
                      X