Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howard's cams

Hey all,
    Just wondering if anyone has used the maximum effort rotating assemblies ( http://www.competitionproducts.com/p...umber=RATP397F )or just the crankshafts from Howard's cams? How do they compare to Scat, Eagle, or Callies?

Re: Howard's cams

cant say that i have ever even came across that brand

Comment

Looking at Howards cams website ( www.howardscams.com ) they look like quality stuff. All american forgings finished at Callies shop. Just wanting more info before I spend money on a new rotating assembly. Wondering how they compare to Scat, Eagle, and some of the other kits that can be had.

Comment

i have used scat and eagle for a long time.

no matter what name is on the product it can always fail, a name doesnt prove that it is good. i would see if they have any type of warranty or gurantee, i couldnt really find anything on there saying they stand behind there product in case of failure do to manufacturer.

Comment

I could be wrong but I think that Howards uses Callies forgings. You are probably down to machining quality, and price. I know Callies is a good crankshaft. I have not ran anything from Howards.
          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

They have their stuff forged at the same place Callies does and it is pretty decent. Better than the scat or eagle 4340 stuff. They use ross pistons usually. I havent used their rods so I cant say anything about them.

I used to use a lot of their cams and their shelf stock stuff is nice and quick to deliver but all of their custom stuff took forever to get. I guess they have Comp do their custom stuff and they rebox it from what I understand. Since I became a comp dealer a few years back I just use them for 99% of cam stuff. Of course I do miss the yellow boxes the Howards cams came in.

Comment

I have seen the stuff and it looks good, but that does not mean a lot.

Comment

Well, I guess I could be the guinea pig on here. I think I am going to go with this kit. Anyone care to chime in on a solid roller cam recommendation. I'll need a lot of torque to get my sled moving. The engine will be:
                397 c.i. small block chevy
                11.2 to 1 compression
                prof. products Hurricane intake
                850 Mighty Demon
                Afr Eliminator 195 heads (most likely)
                68 Chevelle (3600 lbs)
                3800 ATI stall
                4.11 gears

Comment

Last night we dyno'd a sbc 383 with 10.8:1, Dart 215 heads I ported (flow 285in/210ex @ .600 compared to AFR 195 eliminators' 263/219 on the same bench), ProProducts Hurricane intake, Quickfuel 750HP, 242/248@ .050 solid roller 110lsa with 1.5 rockers. It made 544hp at 6700 and 494ft-lbs at 5200. With the smaller runners on the afr heads and the extra cubes that cam would probably work pretty well for you and drop the torque and hp peaks down into a more usable range for your big sled.

Comment

I love the quick fuel carbs, I like the 950 best and have bolted it on motors it should not have worked on and still picked up. :o
                    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I suppose I could use the cam I have in my motor now. It's a 243/249 @ .050 and .590 lift with a 110 lsa. Thanks for the info. I'll have to stick with the Demon for now.

Comment

Working...
                      X