Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the Best Tranny for LSR Racing? (Manual or Stantard)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the Best Tranny for LSR Racing? (Manual or Stantard)?

What is the Best Tranny for LSR Racing? (Manual or Automatic)?

I need info for what Transmission would be the best setup for a 350 in a Small Car. And I'll bet Keith knows why I'm asking.

Re: What is the Best Tranny for LSR Racing? (Manual or Stantard)?

I've asked that same question up at the flats and gotten reasons for both. I'd like to hear a lot of discussion on this one.

Comment

I haven't seen many automatics ....

Perhaps air drag causes issues with the converter (slip)

Comment

I to have seen many different combos running at the Salt Flats and at Maxton. I am looking for info for My KIA, I found a 67 Chevy 350 4 bolt main Block in excellent condition and I am thinking about Building it for my KIA and going Rear Wheel Drive. (Time to stop fooling around and start going fast).

I have heard that short wheelbase cars like powerglides. And then I have also heard alot from the guys that like to shift. So, I Dunno!

Comment

What I've been told is the auto is 1. easier to hook up in a rear engine vehicle (shifter and no clutch), 2. less chance of breaking tires loose when shifting, 3 an auto can be made to freewheel when you let off the gas. Converter slippage can be addressed with a lockup. Several cars I've seen aren't using near full throttle because of traction, so the HP losses in a tranny shouldn't hurt unless you are at full throttle on a pass. I'm leaning toward a C4 for a project I'm putting together soon but aren't sure what kind of RPM it will handle. I'm also thinking about doing away with the converter like the old Clutch-Flights

Comment

i would guess any strong common stick with an aftermarket overdrive? or would all the gearing be in the rear end only?

Comment

Looking for a good reliable setup that I wont have to tear apart everytime I run the thing. Automatic would be easier to setup and this car would be running at Maxton Mostly. Hard Launches are not needed there because you have a mile to get to speed. I was thinking a Quickchange might work for the rear so I could set up for different Venues like Bonneville, Maxton, Goliad. An old 272 gear rearend from a Monza/Sunbird might even work. Just need some good insight.

Comment

Keith and Terry both have told me in no uncertain terms that my auto needs to go. I'm sure they're right, but the auto has several advantages.

First, I own it and it's in the car.
                Second, I like to share the car with whoever wants to take a drive, and with the auto I can put it in gear for them and let 'em go.
                Third, my car has no clutch pedal.
                Fourth, I own it and it's in the car.

Still, I may eventually go with a manual someday. Less parasitic driveline loss would be my thought, and I am, of course, short on HP. If I had lots of extra, I might not worry about it.

Dan

Comment

Here is one thread of discussion on the landracing.com forum.

Comment

The folks I'm help out tried a 200R4 with more rear gear and the next year went back to a t-10 and a 2:56 or 2:41 7.5" GM 10 bolt. Shock loads usually are not an issue so its strong enough and doesn't take a lot of power to turn.

I replaced a GM 7.5 with a 9" in my malibu and noticed about a 1/4 to 1/2 MPG on the highway drop after the 9" went in.

Comment

I do live in the Heart of Nascar Country, Maybe I can find a Shop somewhere that could give some more insight into this. The other issue is that I am running a light car. So I should gain a Weight advantage to go along with it. I do know that the Weight of the car and distribution of weight is totally important in LSR Vehicals, Weight is your Friend to a point. CLass rules will dictate Engine placement and Tranny location.

Comment

I wouldn't have an automatic if there was anything that could be done to avoid it. Torque converters slip, slip causes heat, etc. Plus automatics eat way more power, plus ATF tends to burn REALLY well when it's on the headers, and since we already have that problem with engine oil, why double the chances of a problem?

Comment

I was thinking about starting with an Automatic because I can get it going easier. And sort out all the other issues with the car such as weight and Aero issues from the extra Cubes. I can work out all the Clutch setup issues and then install it over the Winter Break. First I have to go and pick up the Block this next week.

I'm Sure this will definately Void my Warranty...

Is an Interior Frame Legal? Welded in of course.
                          If I use an under car frame it will be below the lowest point of the Rocker panels. I believe there is a rule about this. This car is a Unibody tacked together Beer Can, I would like to Subframe and step-up the frame in the rear section for shock mounts, box the frontend, and use Engine Plates, it will still get the Full Rollcage setup.

Comment

I use a Richmond street 5 speed in the Monza, usually I dont' use the extra low 1st gear and take a push off from the truck. The Streamliner uses a Jerico 4 speed manually shifted (not air) it uses Morse cables as it is a mid engine. Both cars use a McLoed triple disc clutch. This clutch is bulletproof. If I had unlimited funds I would switch to a clutchless Tex or Jerico trans in the Monza, I feel this would be a help at a short track like El Mirage.

jus my 2 cents

Tom

Comment

We engine and chassis dyno'd our engine when we went out last Oct. We were making 622hp on the engine dyno and 518hp through a TH400 and 12 bolt. We had the tightest converter that PTC would make for the tranny. I think with a stick we could have picked up an easy 50hp at the wheels equating to a couple mph (we ran 179.8).

If you're building a dedicated lsr car from the ground up, there is no reason not to have a stick. If you're converting a street car to an lsr car (like Dan Stokes and myself) then I could see running an auto for a while as you get the rest of the car up to speed. Safety stuff comes first.

Comment

Working...
                              X