Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/G-body Wagon EFI Tank

Howdy,

I found myself a clean cheap 82 Regal Wagon that is talking me out of the 78 Regal 4spd I had planned because its way more utilitarian and useful. However, I need it most importantly as a test vehicle for my new EFI frankenstien so if I can't do that, deals off. I know an ElCamino and T-type tanks are out and the wagon tanks are unique. Also heard a rumor the wagon tanks were baffled from the factory. Any idea what I can use other than sumping the stock tank because I want an intake pump.

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: A/G-body Wagon EFI Tank

This ones easy..

I have an '83 malibu wagon - went EFI 5 years ago. In-tank pump. Its a junkyard solution... get a in-tank pump from a '88-'92 full size van. The tanks are about the same depth. You'll need to fiddle with the gage sender a bit and plug the big vent line. 2 hours with a propane torch and its ready to go. Yes the wagon tanks are baffled. Get a pump from a 454SS pickup - its a direct fit. Strong suggest using braided line rather than hard line unless you have a hoist. Installing hard line on jackstands is a pain in the @#$^

Comment

Thank you so much, I am now going to really lay the questions on the guy for the car. I figured I was in near the same situation as the 78 with the return line since its a 2bbl V6 right now and they didn't have them. Do I grab the sender and hanger assembly and then modify the gauge sender travel so I can get a real empty reading? What do I need the torch for? Wouldn't I want the vent line to let air into the tank while its being pumped out?
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
        Do I grab the sender and hanger assembly and then modify the gauge sender travel so I can get a real empty reading?

Yes and you'll need to make to float travel in the same direction as the OEM.

What do I need the torch for? Wouldn't I want the vent line to let air into the tank while its being pumped out?
        The big vent tube is connected to the filler neck on the van. The wagon doesn't have this so it needs to be plugged. Once you have both pickups in front of you it'll be real easy to sort out what needs to be done.

If that 78 4spd car was near here I'd be building a 4 spd wagon......

Comment

Working...
        X