Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• green engine paint

Hey guys

Any idea where to get a green engine enamel (preferably in aerosol form), that would be close to the colour used on the old Duesenbergs, like this?

I've looked at VHT, POR-15, Duplicolor, Eastwood, and Hirsch Auto. The ones that show colour samples, I haven't found a close enough match. Hirsch Auto lists a Pontiac green used from 1930 - 1939, and also a Kaiser Frazer green. But I haven't been able to find any images on Google to see what shade of green those ones are ... can anyone tell me if they are close to the Duesenberg color? It seems that most of the original greens from the 30s/40s/50s engines are fairly dark and / or drab, including the Studebaker and Ford. The Duesie colour is a real eye-popper IMO.

This is for my Cougar, which is painted the original colour, Lime Frost Green. The engine of course was originally Ford blue. I currently have it painted the 80s/90s Ford Grey, with satin black wrinkle rocker covers. I have another 302 going in, that will have aluminium heads which I plan to leave unpainted, and another set of black wrinkle covers. The EFI upper intake will be powdercoated, probably some shade of grey or silver.

So the long and short of it is that I'm looking for an engine colour with some more pizazz than the grey. I don't mind the Ford blue, but to me it clashes too much with the the green car. I'm thinking that if I can find a nice green for the engine, it might look pretty cool with the bare alloy heads, and the rest of the external parts, which will be shades of silver, black, and grey.

Suggestions, comments? Am I obsessing over this too much? ;D

thanks,
    Ed N.
    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Re: green engine paint

almost looks like a tractor color

might check john deere (about 20 diff greens) ford, alice chamers, ect...

Comment

Thanks for the idea, I hadn't thought of looking at tractor stuff. I have a friend who is a bit more familiar than I am with things along that line, I'll see if he has any ideas.

thanks!!

Ed N.
      Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
      07 Mustang GT with some stuff
      88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Somebody's been to the ACD Museum! That IS a great color. Might try calling the ACD in Auburn, IN and ask them where they get it. My experience is that the restorers are pretty cool, if you can hook up with one of them. Worth a shot. Speaking of "shot" - you could also try Painter's One-Shot sign painter's paint. They have about a million shades. Or go down to your local auto paint store and ask to look in their fleet colors catalog. There will be accurate chips of about a bazillion shades. All worth a try.

Later
        Dan

Comment

Zimmerman's Auto Body Supplies
          728 Glenwood Drive
          Ephrata, PA 17522

717-733-4194

Try them; they have or can get hard to find paint and supplies. They may be able to put what you want in an aerosol can.
          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Working...
          X