Front End Collision Repair How-To - DONE!! - go to page 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Front End Collision Repair How-To - Installment VIII - go to page 4

The parts are in color and clear. I'll post pics as as soon as the MAC comes back - hopefully tomorrow. I'm in a quandry. The clear looks pretty good but I can make it mirror smooth without much effort - but the rest of the car is kind of pebbly so the textures wouldn't match. On the other hand, being a garage paint job there are little bits of dust and the like that I could get out with some finishing. Decisions decisions.

Dan

Installment VIII
    FINALLY - new pics

OK, here goes. Several steps in one posting.

Here's the fascia with the heavy paint glass bead blasted off. It came out better than I thought with no obvious undercutting - I was afraid it might gouge out the plastic.

The self-etching primer dried out pretty well. This stuff is THIN - not like the spray can stuff which is pretty much like regular primer in consistency. Here I'm scuffing it up so I can shoot the sealer/DP50.

Here's the components for DP50. The DP series of epoxy primers come in a number of colors, the most famous of which is DP90 which leaves the desirable Hot Rod flat black. I happened to have DP50 on hand and it's fine under the color I'll be painting (a dark green metallic). Notice the can of lacquer thinner - that's what you use to thin DP for use as a sealer instead of primer. Thin according to the directions on the product sheet.

Pouring the DP50 into the can of the gun. A couple of notes: I use old glass jars (run them thru the dishwasher to be sure they're clean) and mark the levels of product you want to put in them on the glass with a China marker. If the dilution is, for example, 4 parts product to 1 part catalyst, you mark the container at, say, 2" of product, then add 1/2" for catalyst. If a third product (say, thinner) is used, add a mark for that. Paint companies make plastic mixing vessels just for this (You'll see them in Chip Foose's hands) but I save a few bucks and save old mayo jars.
    Second note - notice the strainer. The paint store will give you a hand full of them when you buy your paint. ALWAYS strain your paint.

The hood in sealer. For some reason it looks darker in this pic than it really is. You really can't sand DP so get a nice smooth coat on it.

The fascia with both sealer and flexible primer on it. The hood got a couple of coats of lacquer primer/surfacer to fill sanding marks and the like.

Block sanding time. First trick - try to NEVER use sandpaper with just your hand behind it. In reality, there are situations where you just can't back the paper up and I found some of this on the fascia. Here I'm showing you the famous "taco" (gee, I wonder why they call it that?). It's made to back up 6" DA paper and it turns out to be a really useful shape.

There are MANY different shapes and types of sanding blocks to help make this part as easy as possible - but it's still hard, manual work. Here's a couple that I use. The rectangular block is made to use roll abrasive, which comes with an adhesive back. This one also has a bump to act as a hand hold and it's a lot more comfortable than a plain flat pad (I have arthritis in my thumbs so I look for stuff like this). The roll paper comes in pretty much all grits. Here I'm roughing with 240 on the roll and 150 on the taco (just what I happen to have) and then smoothing up with 400.

Another sanding tip - if it hits the floor, replace the paper. It dulls the paper and there's no telling what contaminants will get picked up.

Hood and fascia in base coat. I shot another coat of sealer when I was satisfied with the sandable primer coat, followed by the color. Of course, the parts get a thorough cleaning and wipe down with Prep Sol between each step.

Note that I'm just spraying in my open shop. A booth would be great and is in the plans but this job sort of showed up before that got done. I've sprayed in some horrible conditions and had stuff turn out OK, so don't be stopped just because you don't have all the right stuff. I've worked with a rented compressor and a Sears gun, and the best black job I ever did was on a C60 tractor - OUTDOORS - and the next door neighbor was haying! And did I mention, it was in enamel (which dries the slowest). No BS! Fortunately, the wind was in our favor. My point is - YOU can do this stuff and have it look pretty good.

It's all clearcoated now and ready for installation. I'll show the final finish along with the reassembly shots in a day or so. I like to let everything set up a day or two but really you don't need to. I guess it comes from my old days of spraying enamel.

Dan

Comment

Bump - new stuff

Comment

Nice work Dan!

I have to believe your newly painted parts are going to make the rest of the old car look horrible!

Your family is lucky to have you around to do such things for them!
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Quite timely on your finish, Dan. My nephew tried to run a cabbie off the road a week ago - so the same process is now being applied to a Kia. Thanks
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

If you really love him you'll let the Kia die (J/K Randy Streeter). Actually, I guess they're OK. Hope yours comes out OK.

Also - I sent Brian a PM which he ignored (poor me, with back of hand to forehead). Anyhow - is there some way to glue all this into one big thread, or a blog item, or some such? Seems like it would be more useful if it was all in one chunk, like a magazine article.

Dan

Comment

Dan - where's the final assembled "done" pictures?
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I was bangin' away at it today but it's not quite there. Hope to finish it up tomorrow. The lights are in, which was more hassle than it should have been - I forgot how they came out (duhhh). Fascia is almost installed - I just need to find and install a few of those plastic push-in thingies. Then it's bolt on the hood after I fix the hood prop rod which has a nick about half way thru (maybe from me cutting the hood open). Simple weld job. Once it's all assembled I'll decide whether to live with the little bit of dust of rub the whole deal out. It goes pretty quickly now that I have the super-duper DA adaptor for ultra fine paper. I found a spot on the fascia that definitely needs a little rub-out. Bottom line - I should have final pics up tomorrow.

Dan

Comment

Re: Front End Collision Repair How-To - DONE!! - go to page 4

Stick a fork in it - it's DONE. Well, almost. I need to pick up a battery hold down and maybe do an oil change, as well as have the alignment checked and have the headlights aimed. But cosmetically it's complete.

Here's a pic with the headlights installed. For some reason it seemed like the lights were just a bit too close together or the fascia was a bit too narrow, but I forced everything to live together.

Here's with the hood installed. Strange hood hinges - there's NO adjustment other than to bend them side to side to center the hood. I guess if everything was off further I could have hogged out the slots but it wasn't necessary.

I still have to decide whether to rub it out or not. I'm kind of back and forth on it. Won't look any different in a photo, though - unless you're Randy Lorentzen.

Here's a shot from the side, pretty close to the shot at the beginning of the series (way back then).

I couldn't find the thread but Fabricator Dave asked us to post shots of our BS stickers in place. Here's BS Feast East sticker on the Dakota - it goes with me everywhere. If anyone knows where to find the old thread I'll repost it.

Hope you all enjoyed following along. I'm not fast but I do get 'er done - eventually.

Dan

Comment

Nice work Dan and probably better than the young'un deserves.
                    Did you keep track of your work hours and material costs ?
                    I'm interested in how much time and costs you put into the repair.

Comment

Dan, just hit the dirt nibs that you can feel when you wash/dry and be done with it. no need to color sand the entire panel. like you said the texture probably matches better now than if you buffed it down good.

Comment

On the costs. The other Grammy (Wife #1) put up $400 for parts & paint and that was almost exactly right, given that I saved the fascia. I used lots of left over supplies from previous projects like the epoxy flexible filler, sandpaper, DP50, clear and hardener, thinner (which I keep in stock) and such, so I have no clear idea of the total there - maybe $150 or so. Hours are hard to track, too, as I fit these kinds of projects in around doctor appointments, lunch out, some TV time and stuff with ME. If I had to guess - maybe 25 hours not including time waiting for stuff to set up. Really hard to say, though. Pro body guys would knock this out in no time. Their time is money - mine is only worth what I feel like spending.

Dan

Comment

dan, the only mention of the stickers i found was in the bs east feast thread.... http://www.bangshift.com/forum/index...5201#msg315201

great job on the car BTW

Comment

Nice work on the car ..... and yes, I'd rather the nephew car simply die; however, it's got to live long enough so that I can finish his Jeep (YJ with exo-cage, full size axles, 350 or 400 motor)... I certainly won't repeat what I said when he told me he bought a Kia - that would be mean to repeat and could offend some people's delicate sensibilities.
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

After seeing Randy's LSR Kia its hard to be TOO hard on them. He pounded it pretty hard and it took it - and eventually got to 135, IIRC.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X