Chevy 235 balancer bolt question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy 235 balancer bolt question

Does anyone know the thread size or a company that carries a balancer bolt for an old chevy 235 L6? For some reason my new toy is missing one and the balancer is about to fall off.

Re: Chevy 235 balancer bolt question

John (Milner351) - can you take a peek at the '54? Maybe Jay (jays67) could look at his ol' Stovebolt. I have no clue on the older sixes - 250/292 use same as a SBC (7/16x ~1 1 /2). I'd try something around the shop for size then run down to the local bolt house for a grade 8 with the right thread and length. They're really not any special alloy or anything.

Dan

Comment

Chevy didn't put bolts on straight 6 cyl balancers until....oh yeah, they never did.

If the damper is gonna fall off, you need a new (used) damper, and possibly a new (used) crankshaft. Usually just the damper is cracked at the keyway, but if it ran like that for a while it might have worn the crank snout enough so the new damper will be loose too. it's supposed to be a tight press fit.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. This 235 six is a different world for me, never played with one before. Now to find another balancer and hope it works, if not the car is gunna get a small block.

Comment

just weld it on

Comment

Some of my 250s have bolts, some do not, and some I've had to drill to use the balancer installer. I assumed (yeah, I know) that some were drilled and tapped from the factory but evidently it just means that I'm not in bed with a virgin. The balancer on the engine that's currently in the car is a snug hand fit but was drilled and tapped. Again, the 7/16 SBC bolt and monster washer seem to work just fine. On the old sixes - no clue.

Dan

Originally posted by squirrel
            Chevy didn't put bolts on straight 6 cyl balancers until....oh yeah, they never did.

If the damper is gonna fall off, you need a new (used) damper, and possibly a new (used) crankshaft. Usually just the damper is cracked at the keyway, but if it ran like that for a while it might have worn the crank snout enough so the new damper will be loose too. it's supposed to be a tight press fit.

Comment

Sorry - I just saw this thread, and I put the '54 in winter storage last weekend, so - it's two hours away!
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
              X