5.7 Chip it or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.7 Chip it or not?

I have a friend who asked me if he would see any difference if he put a chip in his '99 Chevy Tahoe. He pulls a 28' camping trailer. What does the chip do? It is definitely not "race", just wants more pulling power. I thought just changes shift points. So is it worth anything?
    Living the dream!

Re: 5.7 Chip it or not?

I'm pretty sure a 1999 5.7 can't actually be chipped (although there are a couple "performance chips" out there on eBay that are two lies in one, neither chips nor really improving performance). Instead, they can be flashed. Both are means to accomplish the same end, which is redoing the fuel and spark maps. Kind of like the equivalent of a carb rejet and distributor recurve on an older engine.

The difference is that flashing an ECU means connecting to it with a tuning device and rewriting a program in memory, while chipping means physically yanking the memory chip out and replacing it with a new one.

Comment

I wouldn't go with a generic flasher (or chip) for *towing* reasons. The last thing you want is a more advanced timing curve so the engine detonates under heavy load, or runs hotter because it's been leaned out for more performance... and that's usually what a generic chip/reflash does.

How'd he feel if he has to run premium and get the same crappy mileage, for 15 more hp? yuck.

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Thanks, Scott and Matt. I think he should just leave it alone, as no real gains to be had. I think he is looking for a magic wand.
        Living the dream!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbuds1
          I have a friend who asked me if he would see any difference if he put a chip in his '99 Chevy Tahoe. He pulls a 28' camping trailer. What does the chip do? It is definitely not "race", just wants more pulling power. I thought just changes shift points. So is it worth anything?
          my 2004 had a tow mode. for shift points.. don't know if a 1999 did..
          might just have a o/d off
          b/m sold a trannie control box.. for cruise/proformance and tow shift points..
          no idea if it helped any..

Comment

Working...
          X