Drive Studs and galling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Studs and galling

Hey guys, after getting back from Drag Week I was getting ready for Wed night drags and swapping the ET Streets back on. As I pulled one side off, one of the nuts seized on the drive stud and backed the stud out. I figured the nut had been cross threaded so I knew I would have to order another set of studs to replace the bad one. When I got the wheel off I checked the other threads and there was a bit of aluminum from the Weld wheels so I wire brushed them clean and tested the 4 nuts which all spun on easily.

In an attempt to be proacive I decided to check the other side. All 5 came off ok and I wire brushed them to be sure. 4 spun on with no problems but one was a bit slow coming back off and then it seized all together. That allowed/forced me to back that one out and I replaced it with another.

My question finally is, has anyone else had this problem? Does anybody put anything on the studs to keep galling down? I was apprehensive of putting anti-seize on the studs so I'm wondering what, if anything, circle track and other racing groups put on the studs when swapping tires alot?
    Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Re: Drive Studs and galling

We ran the ARP anti-seize http://www.arp-bolts.com/Catalog/Catalog.html

It seamed to work just fine on the grand national car we ran. We only used it because it was left over from the build. I think in our case permitex anti-seize would have worked just fine.
    What do you think is your root problem?

Steve
    Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Thanks Steve. I'll get some and start using a bit on the studs.

To be honest I'm not sure what the root problem is. I really didn't find much aluminum on them but I haven't put anything on those studs for the last 4 years so thought the combo of them being super dry and changing them so much during DW might have had something to do with it. When we were swapping rear tires at the tracks we used ratchets not the electric impact so I doubt we cross threaded the first one. I'm just thankful it didn't happen on the road!
      Rich

Comment

I use the Felpro anti seize on all my vehicles everytime I rotate/swap tires. I've never had any problems....
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Ok, looks like my mistake was never putting anything on and leaving them dry. I only had one set of wheels before DW so that's probably why I never ran into the problem over the years. Thanks for the quick replies guys!!!
          Rich

Comment

I've heard input on both sides of this debate - leave lug studs dry, use only oil, use anti-seize, anything will effect the proper torque value, grease / anti-seize will get a bunch of dirt / junk built up on the threads, etc, etc....

What type of lug nut seat are you running? The welds I have the lug nut runs inside the hole on the wheel, not like a factory acorn style tapered seat lug nut. What torque did you tighten the lugs to?

I wonder if there's just a bit too much play between the lug nut and the hole in the wheel - leading to a bit of movement when "shocked" when you're getting out of the hole?

things that make you go hmmmmmm....
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I'm running Moser 5/8" drive studs with flanged nuts so they fill in the holes in the wheels. I torque the rears to 90. I sent an email to Moser tech to see if they have any recommendations.
              Rich

Comment

Dont you have the nuts behind them? Keep the speed down, with the thread they build heat and seaze up, I use a oil light spray stuff, but never anti seaze it tends to collect dirt and ball up on long studs. This is even more so on the long shanked nuts
                2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I use anti-seize on mine w/o problems. Not to say you COULDN'T have trouble, of course. I usually wipe mine off before removal, especially if they look funky.

Dan

Comment

Hey folks, here's the reply I got from Moser:

I would not be afraid of it on the studs at all. To be honest we deal mostly in wanting studs to thread in and stay. But if you changing wheels a lot and are keeping an eye on the studs anti-seize should be fine.

I'm thinking the light oil or anti-seize lube is cool and I like the idea of wiping them down first and then going slow on the way out...wait, what were we talking about?? :P

Anyway, thanks guys.
                    Rich

Comment

Working...
                    X