Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horsepower limitations of 3 inch exhaust.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horsepower limitations of 3 inch exhaust.

Does anyone know the H.P. limitations of 3 inch exhaust. I like mine because it goes all the way out the back and is fairly quiet at 2800 to 3000 while cruising. BUT, if I put a 150 - 300 shot on it will it be enough?

Re: Horsepower limitations of 3 inch exhaust.

I have never seen a exhaust that did not slow a car down, when it was retuned for it, .20-.25 is what we pick up most of the time.
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by mopower58

Does anyone know the H.P. limitations of 3 inch exhaust.

As important (& perhaps even more so in many cases)

as the pipe OD is the brand/model of the muffler.

Dynomax Ultraflows (welded) are the least restrictive street muffler.

Dynomax Ultraflows (stainless steel) are #2, flowing just a little less.

(Dynomax posts hp specs on each muffler it makes in their catalog.)

Q. What brand/muffler are you using?

Q. What is your engine-only (non-NOS) hp?

Comment

If it goes 10.54 on radials and thru the exhaust....I wouldn't worry about it with a 150 shot. Nice ride!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC
          I have never seen a exhaust that did not slow a car down, when it was retuned for it, .20-.25 is what we pick up most of the time.
          I removed my exhaust from the headers back, and lost 0.15seconds.
          I put it back and gained 0.15seconds!
          If the system is properly designed, it will continue to help extract the exhaust beyond the headers.
          I believe the X-pipe was mainly responsible for the gain in my case.

Comment

Originally posted by Two Lane Blacktop

3 inch magnaflow stainless with TTi x-pipe and full exhaust. 2 inch into 3 1/2 Hooker Super Comps.

Never had it dynoed but by the numbers it ran,somewhere around 625 hp.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutSteve
              Originally posted by JeffMcKC
              I removed my exhaust from the headers back, and lost 0.15seconds.
              I put it back and gained 0.15seconds!
              If the system is properly designed, it will continue to help extract the exhaust beyond the headers.
              I believe the X-pipe was mainly responsible for the gain in my case.
              That maybe, on your car, but why dont they run them on ProStocks then?????

This is why I qualify my statement to a properly tuned exhaust for open headers, dropping the 40 lbs off the exhaust should pick it up too.

Comment

Good point, but on the street where you must have a muffled system, a good, well thought-out design should help you.

It's no secret that X-pipes help power that maybe ProStocks could benifit from. Perhaps there are space limitations that prevent them from doing so..? ..and a full system is definitely a weight disadvantage.
                Perhaps their RPM range doesn't provide beneficial results with the lengths of tubing required prior to the location of the X-pipe or something like that..
                Who knows, I'm just saying that my full system helped me run the 11.49 as opposed to the 11.64. ..and the 11.64, the car was slightly lighter without the system fitted.

Comment

I have a 3" x-pipe system (TTi) with cutouts after the x (before the mufflers). It ran .2sec faster with cutouts closed on my 383, but now runs about .2sec faster with them open on my 427 sbc. Both setups were tuned with the cutouts open. I think it really depends on your combo and tuning, but opening the exhaust right after the headers usually suffers from too little collector to get the stuff out efficiently.

Tampa, FL

Comment

Originally posted by MadmanMark
                    I have a 3" x-pipe system (TTi) with cutouts after the x (before the mufflers). It ran .2sec faster with cutouts closed on my 383, but now runs about .2sec faster with them open on my 427 sbc. Both setups were tuned with the cutouts open. I think it really depends on your combo and tuning, but opening the exhaust right after the headers usually suffers from too little collector to get the stuff out efficiently.

Bingo,, its the whole package!!!!

Comment

has anyone noticed how short the primary tubes are on a modern pro-stocker? its getting to the point that the collector will be soon bolted to the head!
                      Reading , Pa
                      Good Guys rodders rep.
                      "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                      Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Will it be enough for what? You never really said what you were trying to achieve. ;)

Does anyone know the H.P. limitations of 3 inch exhaust. I like mine because it goes all the way out the back and is fairly quiet at 2800 to 3000 while cruising. BUT, if I put a 150 - 300 shot on it will it be enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Two Lane Blacktop

better than ? what? are you a dynomax dealer ?

Comment

Originally posted by goat racer
                            Will it be enough for what? You never really said what you were trying to achieve. ;)

I am trying to achieve 800 to 900 h.p. in a street car through the 3 inch exhaust I already have. ;D

Comment

You can always try and then put a backpressure gauge on it and see if you are getting outrageous amounts at WOT.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                              X