Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'96 Vortec 350...build ideas/suggestions/stroker kits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '96 Vortec 350...build ideas/suggestions/stroker kits?

Fellow BangShift brothers/sisters,

Your ol'buddy Smoke has scored a 1996 Vortec 350, courtesy of HoosierGTA(Thanks again!).

Roller-cam from the factory, one-piece rear-main seal and oil-pan are just a few of the things that appealed to me....that and it's worth sinking $$ into as opposed to my impressive-but small Mighty Mouse 315(.060-over 305).

Now, this IS a short-block, as the heads were the object of the previous recipient's desires..no biggie.

The entire rotating assembly is wasted due to progressive damage due to a spun rod bearing, all stemming from a lack of sufficient lube levels.

So, I'm starting with a block, main caps and a desire for big cubes/power, but still being able to drive it on pump gas.

The idea of a stroker came to mind long before procuring this engine, but the thought of just 383 cubic inches seems rather basic......what stroker combinations are available?

The idea is to drop it in my '85 Z28, and running it as street/strip(moreso on the street, but intend to get some track time) engine...carbureted, no power-adders at this time.

Keep in mind, I'm NOT independently wealthy, I'm having to spend SMART, not necessarily "big"...but I will spend where it needs to be(The decision to go with all ARP fasteners/head studs has already been made).

I want to have plenty of grunt off the line, but not be out of breath at 4000RPM(ideal operating range is from 1900-6500).

As this is a factory roller-cam engine, I'll be sticking with that setup...I want rumpity goodness, but not just for the sake of noise.

Intake will likely be an Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap.

Cylinder heads.....I'd like to have aluminum for the lower weight and ability to run a higher compression ratio without fear of detonation.

I'll be retaining the ignition system I have currently powering the "Mighty Mouse 315"..it's plenty up to the challenge of what this new build can demand.

Opine away......and thanks in advance!

Smoke

Re: '96 Vortec 350...build ideas/suggestions/stroker kits?

I'd likely recommend AFR 195cc or 205cc heads,
    and recommend a cam that matches their flow
    and works well with the intake chosen.

I'm a firm believer in AFR heads.

...my $.02

Comment

I like AFR's as well. Take a look at some of these dyno results from AFR's website:

Perhaps if you go with AFR's, it will help you determine which cam you like.

Comment

Nov or Dec issue of HR, they built a 400 cid out of a 350 block using a 4.00 stroke crank. It didn't seem real exotic or anything and since it sounds like you'll need a new rotating assembly anyway....
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Plenty of combinations out there. 350, 383, 396 are the most common. If you are getting all new stuff it is the same for 383 as 350. 396 is a couple dollars more but not much. I just don't like it for a street car cause the piston is so short.

Only special thing about the vortec block is to make sure you get a new timing cover. You can get a new plastic cover with or without the crank sensor hole in the bottom with new bolts, seal, and oring ready to bolt on for about $45. Old tstyle cover will fit sort of but you'll have to drill and tap two holes in the block and it still might leak some from different casting spots.

Comment

I've done several of these junk yard style. and have never replaced the timing cover, just cleaned them really well and used a very light an even coat of ultra black.

so here are the combo's i've done... (you'll see a recurring theme here)

350 ALL stock bottom end, ported the 062 heads at home using an electric drill, lapped the valves by hand and used carb cleaner to make sure they all sealed up.

.026" steel head gasket.
            224 @ 050 zz4 knock off cam, $89 on ebay (I see they have no more of these)
            3000 10" stall
            3.08's
            60 series street tires
            full exhaust, 13.20's @ 106 MPH with no traction, 100% full street trim, 87 octane

drove it every day for a year
            =========

89 mustang
            stripped it out, very light, 3.73 posi
            3000 stall, powerglide tranny
            again, a stock bottom end, 210 cc PBM aluminum heads $650 on ebay
            254@050 roller cam, aluminum rockers, 026" steel head gasket
            125 edelbrock nitrous
            17" cobra rims w/ pirelli tires

it would spin HARD at about 70 MPH when I used the juice, pulled it over 7200 rpm for too long (no traction on the street) and lost oil pressure. BUT before I blew the motor I broke the drum and twisted the input shaft on the PG)

Same car I got another motor, all the same parts, did not port the heads, used an LT1 cam from a cop car. It would spin pretty good at 40 mph on the bottle.

===============
            took the motor I lost oil pressure on, 11.5:1 compression dome tops, .026" steel head gasket, same cam set of Dart heads, it ran batter but not a whole heck of a lot. My friend stuck in his chevelle (super super nice car) w/ 4.11's and is still driving today but sold)
            ================

another stock vortec, used a 230@050 cam, a zz3 knock off
            ported the heads at my friends shop (the one with the chevelle)
            026" steel gaskets and the first motor i didn't run a PP Hurricane intake on (I found a polished edelbrock air gap new in the box for under 150, couldn't pass it up, but that was a mistake)

2000 stall, 3.42 gears(?)
            get's bad mileage around town but 16 MPG on the highway (drove it to Tulsa, maybe 80 miles away)
            ran 13.30 @ 106 in full daily driver street trim (did fully port and frankenstein a 650 main body to a 750 baseplate, DBL pumper)
            no nitrous.
            Then I proceeded to break that transmission about 3-4 days ago, was supposed to fully built with kevlar clutches/bands and a hardened sprag/race > I watched my friend build it so I know it has what he said...

without getting too far OT here, does anybody know what I broke? of course NO traction in 1st gear to speak of and very little in second, I tried to accelerate from about 20 mph but it started spinning about 1/2 throttle so I just flat footed it, shifted at 5800 and BANG!! (was showing off to my uncle who i hadn't seen in like 12 years) .. no 1st, 2nd or 3rd gears, but has reverse?? any ideas here (planetary gears?)
            My friend that built it is spending a little "time" away from home so any help would be nice (while i know engines pretty well I'm dumb with transmissions.. time to learn since I keep breaking hard parts)

Comment

I'm liking the responses...keep'em coming!

The 396 sounds neat, but the short pistons kinda scare me with street duties.

Where the blue hell is Dulcich hiding? Would kinda like to hear his .002 as well

Comment

Smoke...you got any specific goals for this project?

Comment

Originally posted by min301
                  Smoke...you got any specific goals for this project?

Set a performance target-NOT a horsepower number-and set all the parameters you want to stay within and work backwards from there. Know exactly what you're trying to do before you buy any parts to get there.

Comment

a little over 600 will buy you brand new gm vortech heads - bare

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                      a little over 600 will buy you brand new gm vortech heads - bare
                      or assembled.

Free Shipping - Chevrolet Performance Vortec Cylinder Heads with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Cylinder Heads at Summit Racing.

Comment

Better yet, get the big port vortec heads. Really good stuff for the money.

Comment

650 for aluminum, they will allow you to run higher compression which in turn will allow you to run a larger cam.
                          + they will save some weight.

But they flow like a vortec on the intake side b/c I think the ports are lower.

this looks like a nice set of heads here:

with just a little work, new set of valve seals and "z28 +100" springs they will out flow the heads above and handle a 525" cam. You can lap them in by hand with a $5 tool, $7 if you have to order it.

for a cam you can drive everyday and not loose much mileage:

this one will have a good sound to it and is close to the zz3 except that they have narrowed up the LSA
                          another nice thing about this cam is the low 480" lift so you can go to your local dirt track shop and find some 1.25" springs made to turn 7500 rpm with a solid cam that will work for this. It's basically what I have in the s10 above that snapped the transmission last week, and was almost as fast as my friends 02' camaro he put a lsx vette motor in, we swapped cams and it dyno'ed at 425 at the rear wheels.... from a roll he can barely pull on me.

Comment

have the block gone over at a trusted engine shop.

take you're own measurements before hand if you can & verify before the work.

Dart is usually the name brand i spy on the fast dirtcars...

Comment

Guys.....

I'm merely assembling ideas and such for now.....to be honest, I'm not all that certain this engine will go into my Camaro.

Thinking of doing another G-body(would love to have another Monte SS, had an '86)......mainly street-driven, but with trips to the strip as well.

Mid-low-12-second timeslips, on pump gas....go-anywhere, anytime status is important.

Nothing exotic(my wallet just can't take that kind of hit...lol), just simple, durable and effective.....no plans for nitrous at this time.

Comment

Working...
                              X