Tubular trans crossmember

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubular trans crossmember

I would like to build a tubular trans crossmember for the '67 Malibu. What material should I use?

Here's why I wanna do this: I have the wrong floors in the car. I picked them up at Super Chevy from the Ausley's booth, and didn't realize I had the wrong ones until they were all cut up already, and it was too late to return them. We actually had them partially welded in already, and couldn't figure out why they fit so poorly. Figgered it was just notoriously ill-fitting aftermarket sheet metal, then realized that they are 68-72 floors. Anyway, so the car gets a 700R-4. The tranny fits ok (after a couple of well-placed smacks with a 3-lb hammer), but the first floor crossmember is about 1/4" from the driveshaft. I can't clearance that any more, not without major cutting. I'm thinking that a dropped crossmember will be easier to do. I need to clear the exhaust, and drop the trans mount by 1/2" or so. Then my driveshaft won't rub every time I hit a bump. I'm thinking a tube member will be relatively easy to fabricate up.

So, anybody else ever run into something like this? I'm sure lots of guys have tubular cross members, what are they typically built out of?
    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Re: Tubular trans crossmember

1 5/8" .120 wall with 1/4" plates on either end and a 1/4" plate for the trans mount.

Comment

Dagenesta, I have a tubular crossmember for the GTO. you wanna check it out, copy it?
      Reading , Pa
      Good Guys rodders rep.
      "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
      Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Have you looked for a half height trans mount too to keep your drop down to a minimum? I think making it 1 piece of bent tube is a better idea so you don't have the end plates with a twisting load.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto
          Dagenesta, I have a tubular crossmember for the GTO. you wanna check it out, copy it?
          Yes.
          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
            Have you looked for a half height trans mount too to keep your drop down to a minimum?
            Where could I find something like that? All I really need is like 1/2" or 3/4" max.

Comment

Not sure where I saw them listed. It was listed as a swap conversion piece but I don't think they are that thin though.
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

G-FORCE Crossmembers

Here's a great source w/ some info for your A-body.

(We've used this very unit on a '66 & a '68.)

Solves any strength or exhaust issues forever!

No need to be limited by the constraints
                of a factory crossmember ever again.

Might give you some ideas. --

GM A Body crossmembers and control arms by G Force for specific makes and models spanning from 1964-1977. Reach out to the G Force Performance Products team.

Comment

Those are very nice. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Working...
                  X