Saleen Mustang Gurney edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saleen Mustang Gurney edition

I need some education friends. My 2008 Saleen Mustang, 465 hp, 5 speed, only 5000 miles on the car. Clutch/trans were working fine. during my last 200 miles, the clutch was grabbing closer and closer to the floor. I limped it into Antelope Valley Ford (never go there) and all the service writer could say was clutch wear, no warranty....he wouldnt listen. So i left and limped it back to Big Bear, 100 miles away with only 2nd and 4th gear available sometimes.....by now the clutch was engaged all the time even with the clutch pedal pushed in.

Had the car towed from home to Redlands Ford under ford tow service. I talked to the service writer after them having it for a week and no word. He says the throw out bearing was bad and they were going to replace the clutch but Ford has said to replace the flywheel. Waiting on parts.

Experts, whats going on and does this make sense? It does not to me but i dont have alot of experience in this area?

I thought the adjusters were loose and the clutch adjustment was changing while driving it? But apparently not. At least its not costing me anything but im not sure they have really identified the problem. Clutch/transmission experts, please chime in.
    Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Re: Saleen Mustang Gurney edition

Hydraulic clutch. Start with fluid level.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

No sir, no hydraulics, no clutch cylinder.

Comment

Cable type?
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

i would assume a cable as there are no hydraulics. the dealers diagnosis just does not make sense to me based on what the problems were. but im not a clutch/trans expert.

Comment

It is hydraulic - I will try to send you a PDF of the service manual.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Ya I can't see it not being hydraulic. The throwout bearing was probably leaking and that's why it wouldn't fully disengage the clutch. Then you probably ran out of fluid, and no fluid means no disengaging the clutch.

By the way I hate service writers, the are strictly sales people and most of them have no idea of how a car works. Way back when I applied for a couple service adviser positions and one of the first things they asked was if I had sales experience, then they would see all my certs and start talking about how they could really use me in the back working on cars. It sucked and is the reason I moved on to construction and out of the auto field.

Comment

Well if its hydraulic, where is the clutch master cylinder? Neither Saleen has one, nor does the shelby? If there is fluid, you got to be able to fill it somewhere. Oh bother, i just hope they fix the f in thing. AND, why would a throw out bearing "go out" in 5k miles. Does this make sense that the clutch adjustment is changing over the course of 200 miles of driving to the point the clutch is engaged even when the clutch is pushed in?

I dont get it.

Comment

Did you look on the firewall by the brake booster?? I would be surprised if it isn't hydraulic.

I did a little searching, and I'm not sure what the difference between an '07 and '08, but they do show listing for replacement clutch master cylinders and slave cylinders.

Oh here I look at Summit, they have replacement throw out bearings for '08 Mustangs, here's a pic of the one for the Shelby cars it's for both the 4.6 and 5.4.

Free Shipping - RAM Hydraulic Release Bearings with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Throwout Bearings at Summit Racing.

Comment

For some reason I think that these cars may have the clutch master integrated with the brake master cylinder, but I am not 100% sure.

It is definitely a hydraulic clutch though.

Brian
                    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

You know I was thinking the same thing. Look for a hose coming off the brake master cylinder reservoir.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                        For some reason I think that these cars may have the clutch master integrated with the brake master cylinder, but I am not 100% sure.

It is definitely a hydraulic clutch though.

Brian
                        DING DING DING we have a winner. There is a port off the side of the master cyl resivoir.

Comment

Ok, i'm old school remembering the hydraulic clutches always had a clutch master cylinder next to the brake cylinder. Ok, so we see how it works, now does the dealers explanation make any sense to you, here were the symptoms again.

Initially, the clutch was fine, let it out a couple inches and the clutch grabbed fine. Then while driving the last 200 miles, the clutch engagement point was getting closer and closer to the floor, where finally the clutch was engaged even when the clutch was pushed in. Could not get the car into gear while driving, except sometimes a double clutch might work, along with a little muscle to force it into gear. If the engine was off, you could usually get it into a gear.

Ford's diagnosis, bad throw out bearing and needs new "flex plate" which i assume he meant pressure plate. ? You guys rock with all your knowledge!

Comment

Bad throw out bearing in this case I believe means that the "slave cylinder" is also bad, as the slave cylinder is integrated with the throw out bearing.... just as the resevior is integrated between the brakes and clutch system.

If the throw out bearing was constantly pushing against the pressure plate, or if it was mis aligned or slipping....
                            it makes sense that the dealership should change not only the faulty throw out bearing /slave cylinder - but also the pressure plate it was riding up against.

I don't have enough familiarity with this model to tell you WHY in the heck any of this should fail at such a low mileage...
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by bearphoto
                              Ok, i'm old school remembering the hydraulic clutches always had a clutch master cylinder next to the brake cylinder. Ok, so we see how it works, now does the dealers explanation make any sense to you, here were the symptoms again.

Initially, the clutch was fine, let it out a couple inches and the clutch grabbed fine. Then while driving the last 200 miles, the clutch engagement point was getting closer and closer to the floor, where finally the clutch was engaged even when the clutch was pushed in. Could not get the car into gear while driving, except sometimes a double clutch might work, along with a little muscle to force it into gear. If the engine was off, you could usually get it into a gear.

Ford's diagnosis, bad throw out bearing and needs new "flex plate" which i assume he meant pressure plate. ? You guys rock with all your knowledge!
                              The throw out bearing is probably leaking and that is why they say to replace it and it's most likely what the problem was. I actually came across some complaints about the clutches in those cars, specifically the throwout bearing making noise. And the reason they are replacing the Pressure plate is because they won't turn it for liability reasons. And I take it, they are replacing the clutch and pressure plate to?? Basically that is the way the dealer works, everything new, that way they don't have to worry about it, plus it's more money in warranty work that they get paid on. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X