Lights won't work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lights won't work.

I have been beating my head against a wall trying to figgure out why the lights won't work on my formula. Everything was working good and then I came out to go to work this morning and they decided that I didn't need to see. The dome light comes on when I open the door but when I hit the light switch it shuts off the dome light and no lights come on at all. I had this happen once a few months ago but I thought I had it fixed with a new headlight switch and dimmer switch. I am open to suggestions cause I need this car to get me to work.I HATE ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS.
    Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Re: Lights won't work.

Not much info here but it sounds like a bad IP ground.

Comment

Sounds like abad connection but check your fuses first. It may be when you swapped the headlight switch the pigtail didn't seat all the way. Take it out and try it again

Comment

be very quiet, and turn your lights on, do you hear a clicking sound from the light switch area?

if so it may be a shorted hot wire (or bad switch, being it's new probably not the switch).

I think the wire from the switch to the dimmer is yellow. look on the bottom of the column
        and see if you see the dimmer switch, yellow in, brown and green out

unplug the yellow, check it for power.. no power? bad switch or possibly shorted hot....
        run a hot to where it was pulled off, if the lights come on it not getting juice b/c the main switch or the wire is grounded.

if when you run that hot no lights come on run it to either the green or brown. if they come of it's the dimmer, if the do not check the relays under the hood that run the lights.

Comment

headlight power should be the light blue wire

Which lights don't work? They are on different circuits..headlights don't have a fuse, they have a breaker in the switch and get power directly from the main power feed. dome light has a fuse, tail lights have a fuse, dash lights have yet another fuse.

I would suspect a new switch more than an old one, they don't make stuff like they used to
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

is this a camaro or a firebird? I assumed firebird b/c you said formula, but your avatar is a camaro.

Comment

on courtesy lights the switches provide a path to ground

Comment

Originally posted by joe_rocket45
                is this a camaro or a firebird? I assumed firebird b/c you said formula, but your avatar is a camaro.
                It is a firebird. It's my daily driver the camaro is the toy. I pulled everything apart saturday after work and traced the wires. I am concerned because after putting everything back together it works fine now? I wonder if it was only a bad connection on the light swicth.
                Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

could have been a bad connection making an open circuit, or a pinched wire shorting out.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

sounds like a short in the switch - I've had several cars that have done that (most of what I have/had are GM). The switch gets a short, and it trips the relay.... although, I've had one where the relay basically wore out - and would kill the headlights whenever you hit the high beams (didn't fix it, I just don't use the high beams ;))
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                    X