Picking out new rear gears. Poll!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Picking out new rear gears. Poll!

Put some 275/60R15 E.T. Street Radial's on her and have some fun with it.

Comment

Originally posted by 67prostreet
      Put some 275/60R15 E.T. Street Radial's on her and have some fun with it.
      Mileage man, mileage! I'll worry about having more fun once my mpg goals are satisfied

I think I will swap cam's before changing gears. The 3.23's are only tied now because of my vote (which I needed to do to see the results of my own poll :P) And I will hit a track before swapping cams.

Should I start a new thread on advancing my cam 4* (assuming no piston interference) versus purchasing another cam? Should I start a poll thread about starting another thread on that? Should I have bacon with every meal? ;D :P

Thanks all for your inputs, more input is always welcome too
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Baaaaaacoooon :D

Comment

What about swapping to a stick shift? More fun and mileage in one package.

Comment

Originally posted by 98ciHemi
            I believe it is...
            with a 2.87 first gear

Comment

Originally posted by 98ciHemi
              Did that plus Big Block ;D And it is fun!

It has an uber deep 5th gear overdrive with a .64 ratio. The 700r4 has a .70 and the 200r4 is a .67. As far as I know really only the six speeds have a deeper overdrive gear of .50.

Comment

could be a newbie comment, but I thought cams with a wider LSA (lobe separation angle) produced more torque at lower RPMs. It seems that was one way that GM got the LT1 and LS motors to make torque was spreading out the LSA and reducing cam duration with higher lifts (for example the F-body LT1 cam specs had 202/207 duration, .450/.460" lift and 117 LSA using 1.94/1.5 valves versus a '67 Poncho 400 HO 288/302 duration, .414/.413" lift, ~ 110 LSA and 2.11/1.77 valves. More torque at lower RPMs should allow lower gears gears while still providing plenty of grunt - no?

a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Yeah that was/is my thought too. I think what is ending up killing the low end efficiency is the long durations (which was always a wild card in my mind). So it traded off the low end grunt of a wide LSA to a long duration. The duration is apparently long enough that the cam prefers higher rpm (not that I'm complaining about the low end power). I knew this cam was marketed as an upper rpm range cam, and figured the displacement would keep enough low end torque to keep me happy (it has). What I was hoping for with the minimal overlap (.5*) had enough low end efficiency to maintain good fuel mileage (it's decent now :P).

So I am looking at alternative smaller cam's now that will likely still keep me happy. Maybe I'll try advancing the cam first....

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                    So I am looking at alternative smaller cam's now that will likely still keep me happy. Maybe I'll try advancing the cam first....
                    That'll be a step in the right direction and it just may be all it needs too....
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Working...
                    X