wanted...tips on using fiberglass sheets and resin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wanted...tips on using fiberglass sheets and resin

Messed around a bit with my hood scoop today...tried using my welder but it is a POS...melts everythign it touches no matter what setting it is on....Anyway....

So anyone have any tips or tricks wehn using this typ of material? I did a fair job but would like a little more insight from you all....
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Re: wanted...tips on using fiberglass sheets and resin

years ago we used to patch race cars, and the past week I've been messing with it again. I like the textile fabric more than the mats, and I like to brush some resin on first, lay the mat over it, brush some resin on the mat. Then using a large bolt (yes a bolt, like 6 inches long and a 5/8 or 11/16 head) use it to "tap" and push the air pockets out.

when repairing a race car it doesn't have to be pretty, and generally goes behind the panel. so this is maybe a far cry from what you're looking for. best advice I can give it keep it air pocket free though. and don't breath the fumes, they are meannnn

Comment

get a cheap small wallpaper soaking pan..
      put the resin in that and soak the flat sheet of fiber in it for a minute or two then pull out and lay it down..
      roll out the air bubbles
      and lay them in a cross(not all going the same way

Comment

How about some pics of your scoop so far Joe ?

Comment

Here?s some good fiberglass/resins info.
          http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Fiberglassing

Make a fanshroud howto.
          http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ass_fan_shroud

Comment

I can't stress enough on this subject the advantages of EPOXY over polyester resin!

For sure the "weave" or fabric is better than the "roving" or "matte" which is irregular strands in all directions.

check out Paul Oman's site, http://www.epoxyproducts.com/

there are lots of places on line and on ebay you can get high quality high strength epoxies that are much better, more flexible, stronger, easier to work with and longer lasting than the cheap stinky junk they sell at the auto parts stores.

I learned a lot of lessons about this stuff restoring my fiberglass ski boat - you can do amazing things with this stuff - and you don't have to spend "west system" money on the materials either.

It's worth your time to do some reading on the subject - you'll be MUCH happier with the working time and quality of epoxy over traditional resin.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
              How about some pics of your scoop so far Joe ?

UH..no..lest i be flamed for not doing things the "right" way....I dont plan on keeping this thing forever so everything I do is kind of like a school project, practice for the time when I get something a little nicer....

Seriously tho...It is okay so far...I knocked down some of the rough spots witha grinder and found some things I dont like so I am going to strip and go at it again. I think this time I am going to use something like tiger hair or another type of epoxy filler rather than than the polyester resin...
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Just a tip on welding. Get a piece of copper, clamp it behind (or hold it with a helper using a wood handled hammer handle) the metal being fused. Tack away - the copper will keep the metal from blowing out... it's also a good way to keep from getting spot weld divits.
                As always, use the lowest setting possible on your welder; and make absolutely sure the area being tacked is clean...
                or bond with epoxy and a piece of metal as a backing.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                X