Street tires to race tires.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Street tires to race tires.

Right now I'm running a set of Sportmans 29x18.50-15LT's on the street and they don't hook for nothin. I want to get something as close to this size as possible in a Drag Radial, E.T. Street or E.T. Street Radial. Any idea's?

Re: Street tires to race tires.

The ET Street is a better bet, If your not used to radials. You might look at the Bias Hoosiers also I think Larson has switched to those
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Ether way I would like to get something with minimal growth. Otherwise I will have to step down a size witch is not something I want to do.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the et street type tire, they hook just like a slick for me. M/T is the only brand I've ever used though....
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

A Radial is the only ones that are low growth

Comment

.... I've never tried a radial so I have no idea. I'd like to but not sure where to start with the suspension. I hear there's more done to the front than the rear.....
            Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Basicly you need to be able to dead hook it, then back it off to just slip, so your not up on the bumper ;)

To much slip, and it goes into tire shake, or spins like you in the water still.

Comment

By the way the shake Broke Docs new windsheild, breaks u-joints and 1/2 inch studs like it was nothing. You can't drive thru it, you have to let off or shift they wont recover

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC
                  Basicly you need to be able to dead hook it, then back it off to just slip, so your not up on the bumper ;)

To much slip, and it goes into tire shake, or spins like you in the water still.
                  As I have never heard the term before, it is possible that Dan hasn't either. Jeff, could you define "dead hook?"

Thanks,

Ron
                  It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Just look at JeffMcKC's avatar. That's dead hook.

Comment

Got it! Thanks!

I guess I never heard it because my car won't do that. LOL!

Ron
                      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Dead hook = no tire spin. aka shit-n-git.

The first time I felt it, I was impressed at how hard I sunk into the seat.

The first time I felt it with a 406, I watched my keys go past me into the back seat.

The first time I felt it with a trans-brake, it felt like I just got rear-ended by a large truck.

Drag racing (bracket racing), without being able to dead hook, is damn near a waste of time nowadays, as competitive as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by 67prostreet
                          Right now I'm running a set of Sportmans 29x18.50-15LT's on the street and they don't hook for nothin. I want to get something as close to this size as possible in a Drag Radial, E.T. Street or E.T. Street Radial. Any idea's?
                          first thing I see is "LT" = light truck
                          does that same tire come in 29/18.50-15p
                          a light truck tire is ment to hold more wieght, and that I'd think even in this line of d.o.t. aproved tires would mean a stiffer sidewall than a pass car tire...

Comment

All M/T Sportsman & Sportsman Pro tires are labeled LT.

Comment

Originally posted by urwurznitmahre
                              Originally posted by 67prostreet
                              first thing I see is "LT" = light truck
                              does that same tire come in 29/18.50-15p
                              a light truck tire is ment to hold more wieght, and that I'd think even in this line of d.o.t. aproved tires would mean a stiffer sidewall than a pass car tire...

It makes a difference where the LT shows up in the tire size as to how the tire is used. A LT235/85R16 is a high pressure, stiff sidewall tire. A 33x12.50R-16.5LT denotes a floatation tire - lower pressure, more flexible sidewall. The LT really doesnt have anything to do with the tire being able to support more weight. Heck a P-metric P235/75R15XL will carry a heavier load than a load range B LT235/75R15. So, this being said, if the LT is used as a suffix on the tire size, it is a floatation tire.

The tire companies use the floatation type tires to take advantage of softer sidewalls and lower air pressues for the aftermarket high performance street use.

Ron

Comment

Working...
                              X