Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Street tires to race tires.

Originally posted by Bamfster
    I run tubes in a 28 X 11.50 ET Street and 60' is in the high 1.40s consistantly, I've never run tubeless
    You using beadlock's or rim screw's?

Comment

Originally posted by 67prostreet
      I run tubes in a 28 X 11.50 ET Street and 60' is in the high 1.40s consistantly, I've never run tubeless
      You using beadlock's or rim screw's?
      Rim screws...
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I glue mine

Doc's car picked up with tubes to a 1.30 60 ft over the Pro Stock tires where 1.32, picked up to a 1.29 with ET Streets picked up to 1.26 60 with Radials 3600 lbs
        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

So I have to ask, what kind of glue? Just regular rubber cement stuff or something like a gorilla glue?
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC
            I glue mine

Doc's car picked up with tubes to a 1.30 60 ft over the Pro Stock tires where 1.32, picked up to a 1.29 with ET Streets picked up to 1.26 60 with Radials 3600 lbs
            So I have to ask, what kind of glue? Just regular rubber cement stuff or something like a gorilla glue?
            Do you have to prep the wheel or tire in order for it to hold right?

Comment

I clean it well with brake clean then use the Black glue from permatex, I will check the name if I think of it at home, its nasty, like Hi Tack. Mount the tire clean the wheel and tire put the glue on and let it tack up then air it up let it set. Presto, It wont hold Larrys car, but works fine for my junk.

Comment

That's one helluva idea.

I have to ask the inevitable question, though...

What is it like to clean off when you change tires?

Ron
                It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

It comes off with a little work. Not as bad as you would think

Comment

I will say yes and no. Yes it could but if you look at a lot of the NMCA Pro Stocks and such they have went back to a tube and picked up, So I would try it both ways and make changes to see what works best. I have found the Heavy Cars love the radials, and are quickest with them.
                    Mine is 3800 lbs. and has 1.42 60 fts. since I put the brake in it.

Comment

I clean it well with brake clean then use the Black glue from permatex, I will check the name if I think of it at home, its nasty, like Hi Tack. Mount the tire clean the wheel and tire put the glue on and let it tack up then air it up let it set. Presto, It wont hold Larrys car, but works fine for my junk.
                      3M Weatherstrip adhesive, aka Yellow Snot, is an old street racers trick. It works nice.
                      "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

We call it Gorilla Snot here but that stuff is a pain to put on (without gloves) and never wants to come off. Thinner will take the High Tack off. ,

Comment

So to go back to the original inquiry, I'm curious what we're dealing with here: is this a monster torque heavy car or a moderate small block/big tire car as I assume most Pro-Street anythings to be?

I also didn't see whether we were talking about drag radials or radial slicks vs. bias plys. This is not a small difference.

The M/T sportsman's are show and shine tires, nice and big, but hard as a rock and not intended for any real racing use.

For real street cars that hit the track occasionally I like the Drag Radials if the suspension is right and the overall combination makes sense.

I have found that I am at the ragged edge of consistent launch traction with 325/50/15 drag radials at my weight, 4200# and power, 650 ft. lbs and 700+ HP at the tires on a Superflow chassis dyno. That translates to a best of 10.12@140 with a 1.59 60 ft. time. As you can tell there is more in it given the high MPH vs. 60 ft. time and ET.

The net of this is that a number of us here on BangShift can give you some advice based on personal experience but the more we know about what you have and are trying to do the better the advice will be. Otherwise we are just guessing and frankly you won't really learn much from guesses.
                          Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

OK, here is what I have. '67 Cougar with SBF that dyno'd 515hp w/o nitrous. It does have a 175 plate system. C4 with a 4000 stall and no brake. Complete back half with a 4-link and adjustable coil overs. Fab 9 with 4:33's. Current tire is 29/18.50x15 M/T Sportsman's mounted on 15x14 wheels with a 4 1/2" back space. There is room to move inward for the frame is 24" wide. The car has not yet been on the track, but I'm looking at running it quite a bit this coming year.
                            Car has stock wheel wells for now. Probably will stretch them in a few years. Not sure of the weight, but it is a lot lighter than stock. When I did the back half, I cut the entire floor out from just behind the drivers seat to the tail lights.

Comment

Not much work= ET Streets

Faster but more work = 325 M/T Drag Radial

Comment

Working...
                              X