EFI for 77 351M Ranchero?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFI for 77 351M Ranchero?

I have this 77 Ranchero that I'd like to convert to EFI via the simplest/cheapest means available. Am presently getting 8-10 mpg and am hoping this would improve things. Any ideas? I already know that the carburetor needs rebuilding and that it needs some tuning but I'd like to go mass-air if it's worth it. Keep in mind that I'm an old school guy with basic old car skills. It's a daily driver, not a race car, but it runs damn strong. Pretty sure that it's been rebuilt with some performance parts but not sure what cam, etc, is in it as I bought it about a year ago from the west coast with no history.
    thanks,
    Joe

Re: EFI for 77 351M Ranchero?

how set in stone are you about Mass Airflow? There are a lot of people asking about it these days, but from experience i've seen zero benefit unless the engine is not capable of providing a steady MAP signal.

FOr cheapness, it's hard to beat Megasquirt. For less DIY but still relatively cheap, Holley Commander 950 is a nice box that comes with a well written installation and tuning guide.

Depending on your power level, a junkyard Ford TBI to replace the carb, might be the ticket! but TBI units don't like much over 500hp however.

More details on the combo?

-scott
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Why not a Ford EEC-IV system off of the EFI 351 Lightning engines? Its basically a mustang EFI system calibrated for the larger engine. Worlds of aftermarket stuff for that EFI system.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
        Why not a Ford EEC-IV system off of the EFI 351 Lightning engines? Its basically a mustang EFI system calibrated for the larger engine. Worlds of aftermarket stuff for that EFI system.

because that computer was originally meant for an engine with different volumetric efficiency. If the idea of taking code and hardware from one engine to another worked, there probably wouldn't be a such thing as standalone engine management. From experience, even with retuning software for the ford computer, at best it's a pain in the ass to make work mediocre on a different engine. If you disagree, see how many people are running the Mass-Flo EFI system (which is the same idea) happily, compared to how many people couldn't get it to work. I'm trying to tell ya man, the whole "MAF is a cool idea" concept - is really, really not workable in an aftermarket installation. Been there, tried it, and that's why we have standalone EMS's.

-scott
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Thanks guys, looking at these.

Comment

Working...
          X