Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eagle and Scat rotating assemblies...any experience with these brands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagle and Scat rotating assemblies...any experience with these brands?

Doing some more research, trying to formulate a plan here.

As I've mentioned in a previous thread(and my project thread), the stock rotating assembly in my '96 Vortec 350 is TRASH, as in nothing save for the block and main caps are good.

I'm wanting to do a stroker....without breaking the almost non-existant bank.

Eagle and Scat have some decent-priced rotating assembly kits.....while I can live with a cast crank, I'd prefer a forged crank...but that drives up the $$$.

However, forged pistons are a MUST...a cast crank can handle nitrous(future possibility), but not willing to chance it with cast or hypereutectic slugs.

Anyone here have any experience with either of these company's goods?

Re: Eagle and Scat rotating assemblies...any experience with these brands?

I've used many of both. Both pretty similar. Do yourself a favor and mic the crank journals very closely no matter whose you buy. I'm just sayin'

Comment

I used my first rotating assembly with the motor in the chevelle. It's the Eagle forged crank/pistons and H beam rods. It came internally balanced and was spot on. It was a pretty good deal in my opinion....I'm happy with it.
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by revolutionary
        I've used many of both. Both pretty similar. Do yourself a favor and mic the crank journals very closely no matter whose you buy. I'm just sayin'
        Should be part of the process, but don't skip it.

Comment

I heard that Scat is now made in China. ???

Comment

Most of them are these days, though a few brands do import the forgings to the US and machine them here.

I have an Eagle crank in my 4.1L Buick V6 because it was the only forged piece available at the time.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Smoke -
              I'm guessing with your network of friends in Indy - you have access to trustworthy high quality machine work at prices that would make the rest of us drool. This is a huge benefit.

I would highly recomend you get a "kit" of parts that are built to go together. I piece mealed a 396 based 351W stroker together and while I beat the price of the "kit" by a decent margin - the hassle factor and the amount of balancing work required to make all the pieces happy together made it not worth it.

DSS out of Chicago offers some good combinations at really competitive prices, just a benchmark to look at and use as a comparison.

From what I've heard - most of the forgings and castings are coming from overseas for this stuff - it's the finish machine work that is really critical - I've heard of some of the journal radii not being too good - requiring re grinding and in some cases a lot of mallory metal in the balancing process to get it "right" ---
              another reason to get a "kit" that's ready to go. And even then - I'd mic it all 3 times and make sure all the rod and main bearings and journals are happy together.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

"DSS"...anyone have a link?

Never heard of them, but couldn't hurt to check it out.

Checking clearances/tolerances/diameters several times during the build process is one of the things I had drummed into my head by the old-timers that I worked with when I was still a diesel wrench.

Part of what differentiates an engine builder from an engine "assembler" would be my summation.

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!
                  "DSS"...anyone have a link?

Never heard of them, but couldn't hurt to check it out.

Checking clearances/tolerances/diameters several times during the build process is one of the things I had drummed into my head by the old-timers that I worked with when I was still a diesel wrench.

Part of what differentiates an engine builder from an engine "assembler" would be my summation.

Amen.

Comment

DSS Racing Pistons. Forged and manufactured in the USA.

I'll take an Orange Julius, please... :D

Comment

Sorry Beags, I beat ya... ;D

Comment

Originally posted by min301

DSS bought all the tooling for Canfield Cylinder Head's small block ford stuff when Canfield closed up shop. They are doing some redesign work on them and will be coming out with some stuff pretty soon.

I say that just to let you know they aren't being operated out of the back of a van. Good outfit.

Brian
                        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

crower stuff is unchinese , sonny bryant , bill miller
                          but you have to pay
                          I remember a nascar tech show at hendrick with the late randy dorton describing the bottom end parts in JG 24 small block - sonny bryant crank - crower rods and bill miller pistons - not one front fender sponsor , but the record shows that is what works
                          how bout HTC ?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                            Originally posted by min301

DSS bought all the tooling for Canfield Cylinder Head's small block ford stuff when Canfield closed up shop. They are doing some redesign work on them and will be coming out with some stuff pretty soon.

I say that just to let you know they aren't being operated out of the back of a van. Good outfit.

Brian
                            Do you have a time frame of when they will be back. Will they be made in the U.S.A.?

Comment

How bout a shortblock on the cheap? Sounds like a good deal and i fairly close to you?

Comment

Working...
                              X