Open headers or mufflers ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Open headers or mufflers ?

I'd leave the muffs on just in case an unexpected problem, you'll be able to hear it. You know, like detonation(!) or a rocker arm coming loose or something. Also, you might want to check some plugs after the pass to determine if you're too lean. "IF" you are, the open exhaust will aggravate it, and you could possibly lift the top of a piston. (I told ya I'd be glad to blast that thing down Clybourn for you ;)

Comment

leave the mufflers on, just my opinion. i also like to race the car in the same configuration i street drive it. the only cars that sound good w/ open headers are pro stocks and pro mods, only door cars for me.

i think one reason i dont like open headers on cars like yours and mine, is that most guys will take their street car to the track and open the headers to gain that all important last ounce of power...but what most don't realize is that i have an old International bean truck that sounds the same as their "race car" because the $10 glasspack we put on it years ago rotted off ;D
      you all have heard em, the mild small block w/ no compression and a mild cam...they sound terrible w/o mufflers.

not saying yours wouldnt sound good, i dont know your combo. just my personal preference, i'd leave the magnaflows on it. CHIP

Comment

Originally posted by a9sec70cuda
        leave the mufflers on, just my opinion. i also like to race the car in the same configuration i street drive it. the only cars that sound good w/ open headers are pro stocks and pro mods, only door cars for me.

i think one reason i dont like open headers on cars like yours and mine, is that most guys will take their street car to the track and open the headers to gain that all important last ounce of power...but what most don't realize is that i have an old International bean truck that sounds the same as their "race car" because the $10 glasspack we put on it years ago rotted off ;D
        you all have heard em, the mild small block w/ no compression and a mild cam...they sound terrible w/o mufflers.

not saying yours wouldnt sound good, i dont know your combo. just my personal preference, i'd leave the magnaflows on it. CHIP
        Thanks for the response. I have a BBC with a blower.

And aside from just the performance aspect, this 427 has a unique 'echoey' sound to it when under boost and rapping out, a sound I've only heard coming from other 427s... It sounds awesome to me 8)

When I was 17 I hacksawed the muffler of my 318 so I could get that header sound <laffin>

Whatta goober.

Comment

Working...
        X