Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radiator stop leak aka sodium silicate on windsheild.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator stop leak aka sodium silicate on windsheild.

Is there any way to remove it? did it possibly etch the glass?

Re: Radiator stop leak aka sodium silicate on windsheild.

Maybe I missed something, but can't you just hit it with a good blast of water? Rubbing it might not be the best thing to do, but I can't imagine spraying it from the side would be too bad. NaSiO2 should be pretty inert, especially against SiO2.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

well it actually freeze dried on the glass. I tried every cleaner known to man including brake clean ;p (ok, not CLR {as seen on TV}, and I might try some HCl tomorrow?? any ideas on that one?)
      But you're right, it doesn't etch glass until 1500* from what I've read, so that's good.
      The only thing I've found to remove it so far is a razor, but I'm scared I'm going to scratch the glass.

Comment

0000 steel wool should buff it off.....
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Ok, now we need the backstory.
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

well.. if I told you the full story i'd have to lie to CMA .. so the short story is...

had a set of heads, ported. One was cracked from the chamber, across the seat and into the exhaust port.
            I ground a groove the entire length of the crack and had my friend weld it up. Being cast iron I was not real sure about the weld holding... so I added stop leak.
            Started it up and let it run for 20 minutes but with no thermostat it wasn't getting warm (the electric fan was off, no mech fan, valve covers felt about 80-90*, radiator cold to the touch). I should have known right then that everything was ok with them, but trying to build heat I set the timing real low. and it warmed up in a hurry.
            I popped the cap of the rad .. and it looked like old faithful.
            Being that it was so cold that day the water froze on the glass in seconds (maybe 10?). it was odd how fast it froze. anyways I didn't think much about it being glass, but with the sun shining and the wind blowing it freeze dried on the glass and made a mess that seems almost impossible to get off.

I'll try the 000 steel wool tomorrow. I thought about steel wool but didn't have any handy and was also afraid it would maybe mess with the finish on the glass (brand new glass here)...

so that's the condensed version to hide the really guilty of ineptness .. :P

I'm still leaning towards some hydrochloric acid? any chemists here that would know?

Comment

Reading on it's properties you are between a rock and a hard spot.

Two things come to mind.

It may be plausble to hit it with some acid THEN some heat and see if it starts to gel up (won't liquify but won't be solid), then with something that can resist the heat scrap it off. Plastic bondo smoother? It would be choice to have the windshield up to a decent temp first if you are going to apply heat.

Another option, which if works would be better, is that the Silica film should be brittle, especially compared to tempered windshield glass. I would try maybe a hard plastic hammer and try tapping it to see if it pops loose from the windshield. Again warmer temps on the windshield would probably be better. IF you want to get more agressive (desperate :P) you can try some kind of soft chiselling with something you hope can't chip or go through the glass but can have an impact.

Comment

Further reading suggests that hot acid may do the job. Be exceptionally aware heating acid of toxic fumes and where the acid is going to run from the windshield.

It should be an adhesive like bond, shouldn't be etched into the glass.

Don't know what the acid will do to the glass either though.......... Depends on the type and concentration I'm sure.

Comment

bonami cleaning power. (near the ajax and other power cleaners at the supermarket)

Comment

Have you tried a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser??

Comment

I don't know on this particular product, but I often hit the windshield with orange machine compound and the buffer. Works great on cars that I want to sell with road rash on the windscreen.

Dan

Comment

If anybody ever happens to get themselves in an unfortunate and rather unlikely situation like this, the answer is....

0000 steel wool + stainless steel polish. works like a charm :D

thanks to everybody for the tips, esp Bamfster

Comment

Good to know! Thanks for the follow up and results

Comment

Working...
                          X