sbc aluminum heads and anti-seize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: sbc aluminum heads and anti-seize

I've run across some soft stainless steel bolts and screws before Dan -- the cheap ones seem to gall and break real easy. Could you just have some soft bolts?

Comment

YES! Anti-seize whenever screwing in aluminum(thermostat housings in alum intake, etc). However, I think you'll find some/most aluminum heads come with heli-coils in the threaded holes, at least on the header side. Making it not so critical
      Originally posted by Rebeldryver
      I know that you need to use anti-sieze on the spark plugs, but I wondering if I should use it on all the bolts that get screwed into the head, i.e. header bolts, valve cover studs, alternator bracket bolt, etc.

Thanks.

Comment

Could be. They are phillips heads from a local bolt house, not from the hardware, but they may be pretty soft. So far, I haven't broken any, but close.

I've been using the Loctite silver anti-seize, but I'm not sure if it's zinc based or not. Just the typical stuff you get at the parts store.

Dan

Originally posted by Eric68
        I've run across some soft stainless steel bolts and screws before Dan -- the cheap ones seem to gall and break real easy. Could you just have some soft bolts?

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys. For now, I will be using the bolts that came off the motor for intake and exhaust, but I am going to use anti-seize. My valve covers use studs and nuts.

I just remembered that I have to heli coil one of the water bolt holes on my intake. It will go with one of the carb bolt holes I did when I first got the intake.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I'll try posting again so here it goes.......................
            For spark plugs: Champion #2612 Spark Plug Thread Lub and Anti-Seize
            For SBC head Bolts: ARP Thread Sealer #100-9904
            For everything else except taper threads: Never-Seeze #49550
            and for taper threads, both NPT and BSPT: Rectorseal #5
            chad785

Comment

Back in my plumber days, we used Rectorseal frequently, especially on gas piping. We, of course, immediately changed the name to "Rectumseal". Either way, good stuff.

Dan

Comment

Working...
              X