New Seat covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Seat covers

I really need to reupholster the front seat in my 77 Monte Carlo. Anyone ever do it before? Is it hard to do? Where can I buy the new cover.I want it to look pretty much stock too. Anybody got any suggestions?

Re: New Seat covers

I've changed some out. Basically you cut the hog rings and pull off the old one then reverse the process. The hard part is getting everything to line up - the seams need to hit the edge of the seat cushion - that kind of stuff. Lots of pulling and grunting. I suggest that you have a heat gun close by. Also be sure that the foam (or whatever padding your has) is in good shape. Whatever is under the seat cover will show up in the finished product.

I know that's pretty limited input but that's all I have. I'm a LONG way from being an expert on this!

Dan

Comment

The lady that did my Camaro seats used a 1" thick type of "batting" between the seat foam and cover. Made them super comfy, and the upholstery fit really nice n tight.
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

year one. or gound up
        and replace the foam,, or it'll look like garbage fast

Comment

It helps a lot to put it in the sun and warm the cover. 1/2 Medium density foam works well to take up some space and fill out the cover. You might consider a mix of 1" in the seat center and lumbar with 1/2 " on the outer portions. Spray glue the foam directly to the seat. Thin plastic (think cheap kitchen garbage bag) will help with stubborn back rests. You won't know it is there after the cover goes on. A heat gun is helpful but a large source of constant heat really does the trick. With some patience it is actually pretty easy. Pay attention were the inner seat rods are hog ringed matching that up will help with centering the cover.

Steve
          Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

The plastic bag (over the seat back) helps the new cover slide over the foam "slicker" but don't bunch it up of course.
            Turn it inside out once it's warmed up and lining up the edges should be easier too. Remove seat and an extra pair of hands or two helps in the tugging, alignment process also but extra help isn't mandatory. Take your time and don't be in a hurry either.
            Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
            X