my 97 neon project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my 97 neon project

I'm 16 and just bought a 1997 dodge neon coupe for $900.00. Plan to start the build tomorrow or Thursday one.Posting pictures soon. If you have any advice please let me know.

Re: my 97 neon project

So far Ive spent $35.00 on a dash from the local junkyard,$80.00 on after market tail lights from eBay,$18.00 on a shorty shift kit from eBay,$25 .00 on an led 3rd brake light from eBay and $60.00 on a front and rear upper strut bars and a lower tie bar from eBay.That's what i bought i have another set of rims to go on it.Now here's the problems in the rear right quarter theres a dent about a foot in diameter theres also some smaller dents in the hood and passenger door.it has a broken valve cover bolt.It has a rear oil leak not sure wut it is yet think its a oil passage blocked and blown a part of the head gasket blown out.When i started it one time and smoke started comin out of the timing belt cover.

Comment

I own a Neon so I can bag on them with some degree of experience.

There are two kinds of Neons:

1) Those that have had the head gasket replaced

2) Those that need the head gasket replaced.

While you have the head off, replace the timing belt and tensioner pulleys (sold as a kit) and the water pump. You are going to need a special puller to get the balancer off the engine (Snap-On, $125) and a nice, big, bench vise to compress the hydraulic belt tensioner. Buy a book (Chiltons or Haynes) and pay very close attention to the head bolt torque sequence and tightening specifications.

These little cars are an abomination. Chrysler really should have issued a head gasket recall. Mine has 212K on it and I am praying for the day when someone demolishes it. But, it is paid for and gets 35+mpg.

Ron
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Just a suggestion... Instead of buying euro tail lights, maybe you should focus on making it run right... Neons are still popular cars for track days/autocross and have a long history of success... So there are parts out there to imporve their performance.

Comment

Make it safe
          Make it reliable
          Make it fast

And above all, resist the urge to bling ot out! All the neon/led/fart pipe muffler crap in the world is a waste of $$$$....
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Pick an application and stick with it. It's possible to build a drag Neon or one that will run circles around almost anything else on a road course, but not both at the same time. The most important thing for any project car is a plan.

Comment

I'm an old fart so maybe I don't understand, but here's my input.

DO NOT get caught up in what's "popular" or "in". Partly because that's not YOU, it's what "they" are doing. And partly because what is in will almost instantly be out and you're stuck with a dated looking car that you've invested quite a bit of money and effort in that you no longer will like. So, like others have said, decide what you want the car to do, develop a plan to get you there, and then execute the plan one step at a time.

It sounds like you may have paid too much for this car if it needs serious work. You CAN do whatever it needs if you take your time but for $900 you should have been able to get one that was mechanically sound in the first place. That's water over the dam now but remember in the future to check out the car CAREFULLY before you buy it. If you are not sure you know enough to do this check-out get someone you know has the knowledge to look at it with you. And, with a car and later with a house - NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER fall in love with one. NO car (or house) is completely unique and irreplaceable - like the city bus, there will be another one along in a minute. Did I mention - NEVER fall in love with one.

Best luck
              Dan

Comment

Working...
              X