Fuel pressure regulator problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel pressure regulator problem

I have a Mallory 250 bypass type fuel pump. I have the bypass set at 12 psi and the return is plumbed into the tank from the pump. I have a BG 2 port regulator. I tried setting the fuel pressure 2 different ways with no results. First with the car idling I tried adjusting the screw all the way in then all the way out on the regulator. It stays on 12 psi. I took the front line loose from the float bowl and put it in a bucket. With the screw all the way in or out it had 2-3 psi with the pump on. Is it possible that the fuel pump has too much pressure or volumn for this regulator or am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated. All lines are #8.

Re: Fuel pressure regulator problem

Sounds like you might have a bad regulator.

Also do you have a pic of how it's plumbed, that could be worth a thousand words.

Comment

BARRY GRANT REGS ARE GARBAGE!

let me say it again......

ahem!

BARRY GRANT REGULATORS ARE GARBAGE!!!!!!!

they work fine during their first use. when you remove them, the seat part of the needle and seat dries up and cracks. once it is cracked, the regulator can no longer control pressure in the system because fuel goes right by the needle and seat.

the only way to avoid problems like these is to do one of the following.
      a. store unused BG regs in a jar of gasoline.
      b. have it rebuilt every time you remove it.
      c. throw the dang thing away and get something worth a flip. good old fashoned holley type regs work great.

i know all this stuff because on dragweek 06 we had this very problem, i took the reg apart found what was wrong with it, found someone else who had another reg just like it supposedly with a bad diaphragm, took it apart to cannibalize it for parts, only to find it actually had the same problem. the seats in those regs is made of a rubbery translucent yellowish looking stuff that is also great for screwing up carburetors.

also barry grant will not sell you a kit to rebuild anything, i guess they are afraid someone might find out what kind of crap they are selling .

Comment

Thanks for the input. I felt like it was the regulator but I have been wrong before.

Tubbedcamaro, I have the supply line from the pump coming in the bottom of the regulator with two 45's coming out going to the carb, all #8. Fuel pressure guage is plumbed into the side of the regulator in the dedicated port.

Comment

Working...
        X