Help with my 383 Impala.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help with my 383 Impala.

The 186's on the car are 64cc double humps. The pistons are 11 cc dished, .024 in the hole and the head gasket is like .040, That comes out to 9.867.... Compression won't change. Definitely will need a bigger cam. Would like a hyd roller. Have to find out if my Hedmans will work with angle plug heads too.

The heads are 215 cc intake flow like 225/205 at .500 and 265/217 at .600. Springs are 145 at the seat and 385 lbs open, will handle up to .650 lift.

Guy was asking about 60% of Summit's price so I bit.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

We just dyno'd a good torquey engine tonight. A little 383 we built with the new AFR eliminator 195 heads (they flowed 265/217at .600 on my stingy-ass sf600), 10.7:1, 240/246 @ .050 hyd flat tappet on a 110lsa, with an old 3310 carb and it made right at 480hp and 455ft-lbs. Not quite what the mags suggest for the combo but very respectable and with an average torque of 417ft-lbs from 3500-6500rpm it would really help a big slug of a car get moving with a little converter and gear behind it.

For your setup if you were to change it - and it looks like you are - try running the vic jr heads with a decent hyd roller cam in the 236/242 @ .050 range - maybe 240/246 at the most. You should make pretty close to the same power as above with that setup.

In my experience the vic jr heads are about 10cfm down from their catalog claims. Again, I got a stingy bench though.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I got the flow info from their Tech line.

The cam I was looking at is Comps XE288HR 236/242 dur. & .520/.540 lift.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

That should do the trick

Comment

with the bigger heads i would put a little more duration in it than that. But i would also go solid roller with a nice set of head such as those. Save the springs and keep the lift down...

Comment

OK. Mr Zealot, will you dig into your cam catalog and give me some numbers?

[Edit] I went digging into Comps Catalog. Damn they make a ton of cams for Chevys. This is going to take some time. Does anyone know what it costs to have a cam custom ground? Would I need a .900 base circle cam with my stroker?

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                The 186's on the car are 64cc double humps. The pistons are 11 cc dished, .024 in the hole and the head gasket is like .040, That comes out to 9.867.... Compression won't change. Definitely will need a bigger cam. Would like a hyd roller. Have to find out if my Hedmans will work with angle plug heads too.

The heads are 215 cc intake flow like 225/205 at .500 and 265/217 at .600. Springs are 145 at the seat and 385 lbs open, will handle up to .650 lift.

Ah-ha!! Try a thinner head gasket! If your pistons are .024" in the hole try going to a Felpro .015" thick rubberized shim gasket. That will get your quench height down to about .040" and raise your compression to 10.4:1.

I am a believer in matching compression ratio with the cam. If you have higher compression a larger cam will work well. With 10.5:1 IMO you could use a cam that is mid-280's advertised duration, 240 'ish @ .050 and use a 108* LSA. With the Victor Jr heads you want as much lift as you can get with those specs.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver

lol - he have any more of them? I wouldn't mind a set of those. Would put them on the 412 for the 57!

If not, I would go with Eric's thoughts. The improvements in quench alone are worth more than the compression increase.

Comment

He's got a ton of heads, but only one more set of the Vic Jr's. They are bare, though. The valves that came with them are not the right ones.

E-Tecs, SBF RPMs, GMPP big blocks chevys, Big block fords FE's I think.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I really shouldn't ask since I have a nice set of 462's that I was going to use and dress the 412 up as a 283...and I will just get myself into trouble.

This was supposd to originally be a stock 350 swap with a cam to replace the 327 with a rod hanging out of the block. Then it became the 462's off of the 327 on the 350, and now its a low buck 400 swap with some swap meet pistons....

Comment

well how high do you want to rev this thing, I guess is better to ask, ever going to run nitrous? How tame do you want the idle and such. Also what rocker ratio do you have.

Comment

With a cast rotating assembly; I'm keeping the revs to about 6000 to 6200 max to be safe even if the cam can spin higher. No Nitrous plans. If I did, I would not go over a 100 shot.

Right now, I'd like to keep enough vacuum to run the brakes. I have 13 to 15 inches now which enough to operate them.

I realize this is all a compromise, but since this is pretty close to a daily driver; I have to be on the consertative side.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

i'd prolly stick with a standar hydro flat then, it'll give you better low end tq. I'll look into it.

I'm supposed to be writing this paper right now, and aren't having much luck... Anyone know about 5-7 pages on property rights violations and eminent domain???? lol

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedZealot
                              Anyone know about 5-7 pages on property rights violations and eminent domain???? lol
                              I don't, but I could probably get you in touch with a couple native Americans who could help explain the ins and outs... ;)

Comment

hahahahahaaa, so sad so sad

Comment

Working...
                                X