X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• revolutionary
    replied
    Re: Help with my 383 Impala.

I've found most cam companies pretty conservative on cam choice really.

Leave a comment:

• Caddyman
    replied

BUT, remember, cam companies like to "recommend" camshafts they already have ground in-stock. :

AND, they love to go "up" on camshaft just a little over what a lot of engine builders would recommend.

Funny, virtually EVERY time you call Comp for a recommendation for a sbc/full roller....it somehow ends up at .630lift and whatever duration will "fit" the application......every time...... ???

Leave a comment:

• sr440
    replied

I've had no issues with power brakes running a 107, they've always worked well???
    Going with 3.7 gearing will help with vacuum as well (ie when you get off the throttle) Just be carefull in slow speed situations like parking lots!

Leave a comment:

• min301
    replied

Thanks for the info guys. From what you telling me, a custom ground camshaft is hardly more expensive than an off the shelf one. Cool.

Plus knowing what you know about your own spicific application allows you to optimize the setup for what heads and induction system you have.
    I agree with the boost in gearing as well.

Leave a comment:

• PYSCHOWard
    replied

I think the 1st move should be more gear,in the 3.70 range if you run as a DD that should be a good all around choice.

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied

Thanks for the info guys. From what you telling me, a custom ground camshaft is hardly more expensive than an off the shelf one. Cool.

Leave a comment:

• SpeedZealot
    replied

I've had no issues with power brakes running a 107, they've always worked well???

Leave a comment:

• revolutionary
    replied

I've used those two Comp lobes on a bunch of 383's and really like them. Most of the time we run them on a 110 just to make p-v not an issue and keep people running power brakes easily but you'll definitely see an improvement running it on a 108-107 and still be driveable. Just need to at least clay check the p-v. Keep in mind if you run a small base circle you also want to double check your pushrod length.

Leave a comment:

• MadmanMark
    replied

I'd recommend a custom CC roller (about $300). The small base circle will help clear a couple rods if they're not already notched. For your 383, the 3196 lobe is good for the intake (236 @ 0.050 & 0.555" w/ 1.6 rockers) and 3317 for the exhaust (242 & 0.576). You could up it to the 3317/3318 if you got compression up closer to 11:1.

I'd also recommend losing the power brakes and getting these on a 108 LSA. If you want to keep the power brakes, I'd spread them out to at least 110 and maybe 112. The torque will come on a lot stronger with the tighter LSAs, but it'll fall off earlier and not idle as well.

Regarding your 1/4 mi performance, I got my 4000lb 383 Chevelle down the track in the high 12s at 108 with a 3:55 gear, 28" tires, 2200rpm stall in a TH350, Dart 200cc heads, and an Isky 280 megacam. Based on this, I'd say your setup might have left something on the table unless your gears are in the 2 range.

Leave a comment:

• SpeedZealot
    replied

hahahahahaaa, so sad so sad

Leave a comment:

• revolutionary
    replied

Anyone know about 5-7 pages on property rights violations and eminent domain???? lol
    I don't, but I could probably get you in touch with a couple native Americans who could help explain the ins and outs... ;)

Leave a comment:

• SpeedZealot
    replied

i'd prolly stick with a standar hydro flat then, it'll give you better low end tq. I'll look into it.

I'm supposed to be writing this paper right now, and aren't having much luck... Anyone know about 5-7 pages on property rights violations and eminent domain???? lol

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied

With a cast rotating assembly; I'm keeping the revs to about 6000 to 6200 max to be safe even if the cam can spin higher. No Nitrous plans. If I did, I would not go over a 100 shot.

Right now, I'd like to keep enough vacuum to run the brakes. I have 13 to 15 inches now which enough to operate them.

I realize this is all a compromise, but since this is pretty close to a daily driver; I have to be on the consertative side.

Leave a comment:

• SpeedZealot
    replied

well how high do you want to rev this thing, I guess is better to ask, ever going to run nitrous? How tame do you want the idle and such. Also what rocker ratio do you have.

Leave a comment:

• RacerRick
    replied

I really shouldn't ask since I have a nice set of 462's that I was going to use and dress the 412 up as a 283...and I will just get myself into trouble.

This was supposd to originally be a stock 350 swap with a cam to replace the 327 with a rod hanging out of the block. Then it became the 462's off of the 327 on the 350, and now its a low buck 400 swap with some swap meet pistons....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X