teach me learned ones...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teach me learned ones...

I am still learning so bare with me......

I have a feeling that either my tranny is going bad or the torque converter is shot...or both.....

What are the symptoms of a bad converter and/or trans....

I know its hard to troubleshoot without actualy being there but......

Its a 383 with a 727 and a 8 3/4 rear with an unknow gear ratio......

My 1-2 shift is very hard and sometimes VERY late....my 2-3 shift is almost always late and will not shift at all if I am accelerating, when i let out of the gas it will usually go to 3rd...... When moving at about 15 MPH.... I give it a little gas to maintain speed it seems that something just isnt hooking up, but if I goose it it will lock up and go............I doubt its a shift kit cuz this has never been an issue....

Re: teach me learned ones...

Did you check the vacuum line?

Nik

Comment

Originally posted by Nik
      Did you check the vacuum line?

Nik
      LOL no vacuum line on a TF

How's the fluid level and when was the filter changed?
      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Check fluid level with engine running and transmission in NEUTRAL (!)
        (Put the parkingbrake on for safety-reasons)

If the level is correct then adjust kickdown-linkage.
        www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Joe, it's probably the kickdown linkage (actually the throttle valve, since the Torqueflite does not have a modulator)

The linkage is critical, it tells the trans when to shift, and how hard to shift. Sounds like the gas pedal is pulling too hard on it, also make sure it has a return spring.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I'll see if I can stop by sometime in the near future....I delivered the robot today so I'm back to normal, almost.

We might get up to tucson sometime in the next couple weeks.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I too would check the linkage and the governor could be hanging up
              2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
              First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
              2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
              2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Sounds like too much throttle pressure. Look on the linkage side of the carb. There is a slotted rod that goes to the rear and down to the transmission. It has threads right behind the long slotted connection. Take the clip and washer off, take the slotted piece and turn it clockwise about 6 rounds. Hook it back up and drive it. If the shift is still late screw it in some more. Just keep up with the amount of turns and if it gets a quick 1-2 shift then back it out half of the turns. You may have to drive it 2 or 3 times to get it right.

Comment

Awesome guys...I will give it a try tomorrow at lunch and see what happens...I dont remember messing with it when I installed the new throttel cable but who knows......I may have F*ed it up...THANKS!!!!!!

Comment

Be careful not enough pressure burns things up I am sure there is a pressure reading and port to set it right, but a little late and crisp means you have enough ;)
                    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Yup check that linkage, nothing causes ruin for a TF like a poorly adjusted linkage. Here is a quick and dirty way to check if its close get under their when the car is off and in nuetral and engage the linkage completely the shifter lever should be all the way back.

Looking at this picture, make sure 16.505-1 pushes 16.500-1 all the way back.

Mike

Comment

Great advice guys....I did some tweeking and its much better..not perfect yet...but a few more turns and runs and it will be spot on...appreciate the help everyone!!!!!! you guys are great....

Comment

Working...
                        X