Can A '29 Roadster go 300 mph?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can A '29 Roadster go 300 mph?

I'll agree with that David. I remember Keith calling me and saying someone wrecked my car. Apparently it looked very similar

Comment

But two feet taller with no air dam.

Comment

Answer: Yes......... but I would use a '34 or a '37...Need to hide the KB a little better and the '37 will slice through the air better (stability) eventho the CD is probably higher. I do not think horsepower is the problem it's getting it to the ground as all of us who go there know.....Just my thought...JD

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy-six
          Answer: Yes......... but I would use a '34 or a '37...Need to hide the KB a little better and the '37 will slice through the air better (stability) eventho the CD is probably higher. I do not think horsepower is the problem it's getting it to the ground as all of us who go there know.....Just my thought...JD
          I think your right JD, but weze just gots to try it with a '29. You know, a real hot rod. It'll be a neat ride fo sure...
          Who'd use a KB? ;)
          There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

You have more than enough power at hand(or Mitech will find it) so I see this challenge as an exercise in keepng the car going straight. If you can get a hand on the handling and keep it from spinning, I give you good odds at obtaining your goal.

For those on the list that don't know....... Mike built the motor that propelled the first door-slammer over 300 MPH..... A feat also considered impossible before they did it.
            Ed

Comment

Of course it can....drop it out of a helicopter!!! ;D ;D :o

Comment

Why the '29? I am aerodynamically ignorant - but doesn't the '30-31 have a cleaner/straighter transition from the hood through the cowl? Still looks pretty darn hot rod....

You could probably stuff a big single turbo in the front snout similar to the old Griebeck (RIP) Mustang drag car. Does pushing the exhaust gasses upwards help stability on these like it does in a fuel drag car?

Comment

A nearly impossible goal but I believe that it could be done. Tires and traction are the obstacles. It might not happen on the salt. Maybe the Silver State or an asphalt highway. Remember, Don Vesco's turbine car was 4-wheel drive and had a CdA proably 1/10 that of the roadster!! If it can be done it would be a technical achievement far greater than some classes with higher speeds.

Comment

Damn....

Never did quite understand the draw of the salt, or land-speed racing in general.

Until recently.

I must go to one of these events, even if only as a spectator(no way in hell I can afford to build something competitive).

Makes Top Fuel at the U.S. Nationals look tame by comparison(been there, love it).

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!
                      ...I must go to one of these events, even if only as a spectator(no way in hell I can afford to build something competitive)...
                      You should look into it, you might be surprised.
                      There are a few classes with records that aren't even in the triple digits. It's not about who can go the fastest in any vehicle. It's about who can get vehicle type "X" to go the fastest. It all depends on what you want to compete with.

Comment

Originally posted by Mopar Kulture
                        Of course it can....drop it out of a helicopter!!! ;D ;D :o
                        Not necessarily! Remember, every falling body has a terminal velocity! Even a sky diver, curled up into a little ball, can only go about 130 mph at lower altitudes. I doubt the roadster is even that aerodynamic. It takes horsepower to push it faster than gravity.;D OK, so you were just kidding but you get my point. A roadster is so dirty I wonder if it could really free-fall much faster ???

Comment

Damn....

Never did quite understand the draw of the salt, or land-speed racing in general.

Until recently.

I must go to one of these events, even if only as a spectator(no way in hell I can afford to build something competitive).

I'm only about 2 years ahead of you in the same exact sentiments!!

GO THERE ONCE.

I'd argue that you CAN build something competitive, there are guys out there with everything from BBCs to Moped engines, the whole idea is to test your technical creativity. not to beat anyone down. If you can, find a "guide" someone like Keith, or an older racer whose been going for a while, it helps you understand and appreciate the drama more quickly.

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                            Damn....

Until recently.

First time I went there, I ran my street car (USFRA World of Speed) Made it into the 130 Club.... That was so much fun I went back the next year with a little more HP and made the 150 Club. Then I was hooked for good.....
                            Ed

I'm only about 2 years ahead of you in the same exact sentiments!!

GO THERE ONCE.

I'd argue that you CAN build something competitive, there are guys out there with everything from BBCs to Moped engines, the whole idea is to test your technical creativity. not to beat anyone down. If you can, find a "guide" someone like Keith, or an older racer whose been going for a while, it helps you understand and appreciate the drama more quickly.

Comment

Hey Ed, how many people are in that 150 club..... I mean geee....... it's ONLY 150...... how hard could that be................. ;)
                              There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

The salt experience is something that every real "Car Junkie" should experience, once you go you can't wait for next year. I started in 96 and can't wait for 2008!!

Saw Don Vesco go 439 with his turbine car, I was at the 5 mile mark, Don's car was using a boundry layer type air scoop at the time and there were sonic diamonds coming off the back!!!

Rex

Comment

Working...
                                X