Can A '29 Roadster go 300 mph?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can A '29 Roadster go 300 mph?

Can a '29 roadster go 300 mph @ Bonneville?
    If you think it can how would you do it?
    If not why not?

The rules require a stock '29-'32 grill shell and no aerodynamic aids...
    There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Re: Can A '29 Roadster go 300 mph?

no aerodynamic aides??? :o :o :o

that's pretty vague.

does that mean you can't lower it?

no spoilers or ground effects?

what's the current record with that body? and how did they do it?

what class are you thinking of running it in and what are the other restrictions for that class?

fenders or open wheels?
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
      no aerodynamic aides??? :o :o :o

that's pretty vague.

does that mean you can't lower it? Yes you can

no spoilers or ground effects? None

what's the current record with that body? and how did they do it? 282 mph

what class are you thinking of running it in and what are the other restrictions for that class? Who said thats what I was going to do & lots

fenders or open wheels? Open
      There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Are we talking Street Roadster, Roadster, or Modified Roadster? In anything but Modified, we're talking super-scary stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
          Are we talking Street Roadster, Roadster, or Modified Roadster? In anything but Modified, we're talking super-scary stuff.
          Just a simple Gas/Fuel Roadster like the examples below...

I feel that there are 3 significant wheel driven land speed records left to attain.

1) 500 mph in a streamliner. Current record is 458 mph held by Don Vesco. Several cars are being readied at this time to attempt this record.

2) 400 mph in a open wheel car (Lakester) with the current record held by Fred Dannenfeltzer @ 355 mph, a ways to go for an open wheel car but a few folks dare to dream...

3) 300 mph in a Roadster. Current record is 282 mph one set with on Fuel & one on Gas bot speeds within tenths of a mph. The fast speed ever timed is 295 mph. So a few guys "Want" this record.

300 in 1999

Comment

I personally like the tune of worlds fastest camaro myself. but I would agree with you, but I hope you have lots of $$$ per cubic vehicle. I would say a couple thousand HP ought to do it, The main thing is getting the aero to keep the car on the ground, theres only so much balast you can run, before it doesn't matter anymore

Comment

Sorry, but the thought of 300 MPH in one of those things scares the livin' **** out of me.

That being said, cool, I hope you can do it -- just don't kill yourself and be sure to post some video ;D

Comment

one thing would be the skinnest tire possible, and cover or shape any suspension pieces for a more slippery shape, instead of round tubing use like teardrop tubing, slam it down in the ground, wheels as close to the body as possible shallow angle on the widow. this is stuff that I'm just throwing out there because some if not all have been done before I'm sure.

Of course hilarious amount of horsepower
                HRPT 2004LH 2007LH 2008

Comment

IMO there's very little you're going to do aerodynamically that hasn't already been done (aside from a very small driver so you could lay down the rollcage). The answer is likely huge weight, huge horsepower (more possible now than ever) and perhaps keen use of the newly legal (but not newly employed..) traction control systems. That and stones the size of bowling balls.

Comment

Thats really the issue with the roadster class... most everything has already been done...

So... no a "real Roadster" which is a street or Roadster...not a modified or a rear engine... isn't currently capable... but like Freiburger says... you ballast that sucker to the Moon and ya never know...

K

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                      Thats really the issue with the roadster class... most everything has already been done...

So... no a "real Roadster" which is a street or Roadster...not a modified or a rear engine... isn't currently capable... but like Freiburger says... you ballast that sucker to the Moon and ya never know...

K
                      So what do you think about Tom Parris & Bob Eaton going 295 back in '92 or so? There is a picture of the car in the issue of Hot Rod that covered Speed Week this year...

300 in 1999

Comment

And they did it on Salt that was arguably worse than what we've seen in the past few years. Plus it's easier to make reliable power now. Wasn't the P&E car a Fuel Hemi? I'd think that a snout-driven Procharger on a Big Chief motor would package within the hood sides (less aero drag than turbos that might stick out the sides) and might make 2,500hp on alky. If you could package turbos within the limited wheelbase and hood sides, 3,000 hp is perfectly realistic. But Mike knows that way better than I.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                          Wasn't the P&E car a Fuel Hemi? I'd think that a snout-driven Procharger on a Big Chief motor would make 2,500hp on alky. If you could package turbos within the limited wheelbase and hood sides, 3,000 hp is perfectly realistic. But Mike knows that way better than I.
                          So that would be a yes? ;)

300 in 1999

Comment

I'll go yes. In perfect conditions. But still way scary.

Comment

WOW

this is beyond my realm of understanding - this is why I love this place so far -- lot's of folks to learn from here....
                              and dreams far bigger than my own!
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X