GM A-body repop disc brake spindles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM A-body repop disc brake spindles

Anyone have any experience with the repop GM A-body ('64-'72) disc brake spindles now on the market?

Re: GM A-body repop disc brake spindles

We get all our disc brake spindles from:

Comment

Originally posted by Two Lane Blacktop
      We get all our disc brake spindles from:

Do you remember if they had MP's part number cast in 'em (SP3712) or did they have an MBM 151 cast in 'em?

Thanks.

Comment

I've had limited success with aftermarket disc parts. Soft pedal is the biggest problem resulting from misalignment between caliper brackets and rotor (which mounts to the spindle) until the pads wear in (unevenly because of that misalignment). So, I don't know if it's in the spindle, the caliper brkt, or both. But, I've had better pedal feel with rusted garbage from swap meets and junkyards to be honest. I really don't know why, if GM can design something XLNT, why do aftermarket companies have so much difficulty in merely COPYING it? My advice, pay whatever you have to for originals
        Originally posted by orbit
        Anyone have any experience with the repop GM A-body ('64-'72) disc brake spindles now on the market?

Comment

MASTER POWER BRAKES / www.mpbrakes.com

Honest answer is: never looked!

Are you building for a "100-point perfection restoration"?

If so, the MP Customer Service line could give you that info.

They're really nice folks at MP! Sam's a mischievous rascal, & funny!! -- ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Two Lane Blacktop

Are you building for a "100-point perfection restoration"?
            Nope, just wanna convert the drums to discs. Finding original disc brake spindles is tougher than I thought it'd be.

I've heard of guys milling the upper boss on drum spindles to disc spindle height. However, I've found like three different numbers (.300, .450, .750) on various websites. Drum spindles are darned near a dime a dozen and I may end up going the milling route. I'd like to save my originals if possible.

It's easy enough to get the calipers, pads, bearings, seals, master cylinder, booster, hoses, prop valve. The repop caliper brackets look good, just wanna make sure I don't have problems down the road with the spindles.

Comment

There's good info here if you want to try to convert some drum spindles.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115940

1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Thanks for that link. Just what I'm looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by 67pete300

Yep, posting this same need on www.chevelles.com would get max results,

plus they have a huge amount of info archived on which to do a SEARCH.

That's the *largest GM A-body* website on the net, & not only for Chevelles. --

A post on that board would get you the most views from the largest group

most likely to have what you are seeking to find. Very helpful membership!

Good Luck!

( Had also posted their link on your Swap Meet thread earlier )

Comment

Working...
                  X