Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford 9" rear with a removable rear cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford 9" rear with a removable rear cover?

Just talked to a guy who found a 73 Torino here in VT that has a 9" in it but has a removable rear cover. I haven't seen it yet myself, so I'm kind of skeptical. He told me he heard that Ford used this type of rearend in Australia and he wants the rear to use in a circle track car, so he wants to know if it is stronger or weaker than a normal 9" housing.

Is this really a 9"?

Re: Ford 9" rear with a removable rear cover?

Never seen a 9" with any resemblance to what you've described. I would think that someone had modified it for easy inspection. But the Australlian connection could be true also.

Comment

I would think it would be very weak anyhow, we used to put tubes welded with bolts going thru from the front to the back in four places to stiffen up the housing in the top and bottom.
      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

The only pumpkin type rearends with a removable cover that I know of are the old Chevys...for example, half ton trucks up to 62 had that setup, as did the bigger trucks up to about 72.

They did use "salisbury" type rearends in some of those 70s full size ford cars, though. Ask if it really has a removable center section, my guess is that it does not.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

He said it's a removable carrier for sure. I told him if it was infact a 9" he wouldn't want it anyway, the housing would be very weak. I will try to find out where this car is and get some pics.

Comment

They made some aftermarket cases that way, but they were flimsy.

Comment

Working...
            X