best electric fans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best electric fans?

need a new electric fan for the 'cuda. i want one big puller fan, atleast 3000 cfm. something that will keep an over 800 hp N/A Hemi cool on the street.
    i've been looking at Spal's fans, seem to be good pieces. i've heard Zirgo fans are good too but they sure are a lot cheaper than the Spals... that's what worries me. i know, i'm sure yall do to, that in this hobby you get what you pay for. cheap parts are usually shit.

so, what fans do you use or recommend?
    thanks, CHIP

DERALE

Compare

CFM output

and

AMP draw.

Derale ---- HTH ----

Comment

Re: best electric fans?

Most importantly is that all of the radiator is shrouded properly in order to optimize it's efficiancy. If you have a 20" rad and a 15" fan without a shroud you are only utilizing less than 3/4 of the cooling capabilities of the radiator.

Comment

IMO i would do smaller duals to pull air across entire width of rad zirgos look just like spals but im not sure cfm is the same check specs

Comment

Originally posted by a9sec70cuda
          i've heard Zirgo fans are good too but they sure are a lot cheaper than the Spals...
          Chip, I saw a Zirgo fan demo at a swap meet. Not impressive at all. Doesn't move a lot of air.
          Aftermarket - I would only consider Spal. Another option is one of the popular OEM fans, you know like Taurus V6.
          Ran

Comment

Originally posted by kick_the_reverb
            Another option is one of the popular OEM fans, you know like Taurus V6.
            Ran
            The Tauruses definitely have some pretty powerful fans. I nearly used one in my Dart but there wasn't enough clearance to fit one.

Comment

The Lincoln MkVIII fan is about as powerful as it gets but it pulls a lot of amps. The 3.8L Essex Taurus vans and the P71 police fans are the same I think. As far as GM fans go, the 9C1 Caprice fans are pretty good as are most of the 4th Gen F-body. I'm recycling a set off of my FWD supercharged Regal just because I have them.
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I'll agree that I've had far better experience with OEM shourd+ fan combos. Way better than even the highest price aftermarket fans mounted directly to the radiator. Smoke bomb test is your friend!! I wouldn't be too concerned about amperage pulled, unless you don't run an alternator or something? can always switch the fans off during a run (manually or automatically) if you're concerned about power loss.
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Be careful of the 06/07 p71 fans (ford police crown vic) as we have replaced tons of them. Must be a vender concern because we dindnthave a problem with the early ones.
                  Reading , Pa
                  Good Guys rodders rep.
                  "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                  Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

When you're idling on Powertour in Southern heat and traffic you'd better be concerned about amperage. The steady state amps is what you need to worry about in terms of your total charging system. Shoot for wiring capable of handling 1.5 or more the steadystate load since every electric motor pulls a massive amp spike when it kicks over.
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Can't fit an OE clutch fan?
                      They move more air than any one electric fan can.

Comment

Mopar Performance sells a two speed fan assembly that comes on the Viper. Someone on here said he had used a few of them and they worked real well. Come with shroud and everything. I think my cost from the local Dodge dealership was around 160.00.

Comment

mopower58...what year model viper? any dimensions on that piece?
                          blackoutsteve...i have an electric water pump, so no, i can't use the stock clutch fan.

Comment

The best radiator ever in the entire world is the Ron Davis unit in the F-Bomb. It's a split crossflow and has an integral shroud with dual Spals. Even with intercoolers blocking the front of the car and turbos right behind it, this thing idles at 150 degrees and runs down the freeway at 165. It's actually hard to get enough heat in the car.

Comment

I agree with Dave. Spals and a shrouds. Spals are great fans.
                              And shrouding is very important. Just placing a fan/s on a radiator
                              leaves a lot of area uncovered. By using shroud the entire surface
                              can have air flow not just the little spot/s where the fans are sitting.

Comment

Working...
                              X