LS2 in a 65 chevelle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS2 in a 65 chevelle?

I was planing on building a BB for my new project but have started wondering about an LS2 instead. Has anyone installed one of these in an A body car yet? If so were there any problems with frame clearance. I know that the wiring harness would need to be changed and the computer reprogrammed ETC. But I am wondering with the A/C being down low would I have to change the front bracket and pulley setup.
    Moonshine the official Power Tour Drink.

Re: LS2 in a 65 chevelle?

There's some nice options for the LSx engines now. But, and its a big one. This isn't the Chevy you are used to. They don't have much for overbore, and can in many cases be a one shot deal before they are junk. A 502 with aluminum heads power to weight will have it beat. The early long wheelbase A bodies can be adapted pretty well for the weight of a big-block without giving up handling, just set the engine back and down.

JMO

Comment

I worked on an ls2 in a 65 and i'm trying to remember how the accesoreis were set up in it. I think it was setup on a custom aftermarket accesory set. Although you could get all the acc. from an f-body or a GTo and it should set it out a little further. away from the engine mounts. I will say that the f-body pan just barely clears the crossmember, but it does, thats with solid engine mounts. The ur. mounts should sit it up another half inch, and solve all your clearance problems. Also the Heads will be about 1cm from the back of the fire wall, which isn't a big deal, its just tight if you have to R?R the trani. What are you planning on doing with the engine.

Also remember that you have to be careful to match the computer with the number of teeth on the crank gear, there are two different tooth count wheels for the sensor, and theres two separate computers. If I was doing one, I would get an '06 up computer and harness, and change the cam timing back to an old chevy, because in the computers on those years you can select the firing order you want to use, this would really rbing back some of the good sound I think the LS engines lack. Stay away from the '97-'98 computers, they suck, and the '05 computer is a bastard year. In '06 they went to a new system that is lightning fast and really smart. The computer is also so compact that you can put it just about anywhere. Also on '06 and up you have to have additional wiring or maybe even a bcm, I would have to look into that more. This is because the bcm tells the pcm everything. Hope that helps. We're in the middle of building a big block for our '71 a-body, and I wish we had built an lsx for it. you can pick up 6.0l Iron short blocks for practically free around here.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I was just wanting to drop a stock ls2 in for the fuel injection and new style engine and drive. It sounds like it might get complicated so i may just op for an old reliable carburated BB and an overdrive.

Comment

I have given up on Big Blocks-cons: expensive, fuel consumption,cooling woes
          LS engines cons: expensive
          so there you are the pros are pretty long for the LS engines i wont even get into but parts are not that bad for them new block - aluminum- under 1300$ overall weight compared to a big block is significantly less - so why not? 450-500RWH is pretty common now with mods - im going that way and not looking back my BB was tolerable when gas was 1.25-1.50$ a gal now with 3-4$ a gallon projected ? im out of big blocks just my .02C :-*
          Rich -DFW area 1999 2000 HRPT Participent 2001 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2012 2013 2014 2015 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

i'm on the same opinion about the big blocks. always had em, always loved em, but with gas like it is getting i dought i'll build another. i have a 460 in my garage i had planned for my next car but looking into LT1 or LS1 power. i've had LS1 camaro's and i got an LT1 camaro now. the LS1 got almost 30 mpg with an auto and the LT1 gets 25 mpg with a 6 speed(with 170k on it). i have been very happy with them both, but i'm not doing any drag racing.

Comment

ls engines are about equal to the price of a big block or less if you buy right and know exactly what you're looking for.

Comment

GM Performance Parts now offers a plug in wiring harness and controller for the LS series of engines. It includes the electronic throttle pedal, and everything to make a LS2 plug and play in most any vehicle. All you have to do is mount the components, hook up a few wires, and go.

Engine mounts are available, as well as headers from a number of companies. Edelbrock is supposed to have a mount / header kit for installing LS based engines into Chevelles early this year.

I have a LS1 in my Trans Am, a LS6 in my ZR2 S-10, and a C5R based 427 LS in my GMC Canyon. These engines make amazing power, and are the engine swap of the future.

Comment

I agree, I'm looking foreward to helping drop one in a gremlin this guy owns :

Comment

I would really like a fuel injected engine to install in this 65 chevelle even if its just a tune port. I don't want a throttle body style injection. The problem is I am old school and have several BB here in my shop that i know what needs to be done to make it run like it should. But with fuel injection I am lost like a first time virgin with a hooker. I know nothing about all the computers and wiring and etc,etc. The car is just going to be a driver kinda show thing and power tour ride so I want it nice and neat and clean but I wont be going to the drag strip with it. I am looking for reliability, fuel mileage, and something that I don't have to adjust the valves on or tune the carb or anything I can just drive and smile.

If I wanted to stay with the big block and hoarsepower deal I would have kept this car insted. It must be a mid life crisis :P

Comment

Here's another option, sorta not such a big undertaking, but still in line w/your thoughts:

Freshen an engine you already have for ECM/FI use,
                      w/an EFI "4-brl" (appearing) Throttle-body system.

You could even modify one of your intakes for use w/it.

That would be like a beginning & learning "first-step" before taking on everything involved
                      with going over to the "LSx" universe & having to deal w/multiple learning curves all at once.

This route would teach you about fuel-injection systems & engine control modules 1st.

Since you're not going for HP or ET, rebuild a motor you already have,
                      but in EFI-econo-mpg-power mode, and stretch out your gas-money $$$.

Remember, the 2008 Power Tour starts in Arkansas & ends in Wisconsin,
                      but you're starting & ending in Georgia. One longggggg piece of road,
                      only about 20 short weeks away. The less-involved EFI/ECM project
                      requires a much shorter to-do list, w/fewer headaches, for less $$$.

Take some pressure off yourself in this brief time-frame & keep $$$ for the Tour.

BTW, Comp (& others) grind nice "rumpety-rump" cams specifically for EFI conversions, too!

Kinda like having your cake & getting
                      to enjoy it w/o going bankrupt. --- ;)

Comment

Working...
                      X